Anyone use Imac 27" and i7 processor...

Ola Englund

Only gay in the village
Dec 1, 2001
Stockholm, Sweden
www.olaenglund.com
...and recording music?

I'm giving a thought of selling my Mac Pro G5 quadcore 2.5 and getting one of the new Imac. Mostly out of sizing down(getting a kid in a small apartment being one of the reasons).

How are they performance wise with for example Logic? How much can it handle?

im running a core 2 duo with 4gigs of ram - i can pull around 14-16 channels and a few bus tracks with a few plugins on each before i start loosing my cpu so i presume the iMac can do much more. if your really after processing power i could recommend you pick up maybe 2 or 3 mac mini's and set the 2nd and 3rd mini as a node for logic. this means logic would off-load part of the processing to the other 2 mac's - that would probably crucify a new iMac and would be cheaper... on the other hand the iMac's are so sexy!

i think thats what NIN do when playing live because their setups are massive and they use main stage for a lot of processing

im running a core 2 duo with 4gigs of ram - i can pull around 14-16 channels and a few bus tracks with a few plugins on each before i start loosing my cpu so i presume the iMac can do much more. if your really after processing power i could recommend you pick up maybe 2 or 3 mac mini's and set the 2nd and 3rd mini as a node for logic. this means logic would off-load part of the processing to the other 2 mac's - that would probably crucify a new iMac and would be cheaper... on the other hand the iMac's are so sexy!

i think thats what NIN do when playing live because their setups are massive and they use main stage for a lot of processing

Ok how new is this setup of yours? Is it the latest imac? Now I'm thinking of getting the core 2 duo 3,06 Ghz.

The new iMac is more than capable. Only thing you have to consider is expandability. Do you need it? Running protools HD or something? If not, then your good to go. The thing is a beast power wise.

Logic is all good.

the new imacs have loads more power than any of the G5s, you'll be surprised!

i've got a core 2 duo in this mac, and this alone is more than capable.

not had much experience with logic and using nodes, so i can't talk about performance, but i can't imagine it'd be much cheaper than an imac, at around £1300, for everything.

a mac mini costs around £400, 3 would cost £1200, and you wouldn't have a huge screen. then the added hassle of more setup, wires, and 3 times as much stuff to go wrong..

imac's are nice, mang!

thanks,

Slightly OT...

Jarkko: How many instances of PODfarm can you run at once on the i5? I'm just curious because they are a little hungry and I would love to hear I can go for an i5 instead of paying extra for the i7 :)

i7

i7

i7

i7

I want one but can't justify the cost right now. I just got the 24" last year and now I'm all :cry:

Just looks so good on a small desk. Nice and compact. :lol:

Slightly OT...

Jarkko: How many instances of PODfarm can you run at once on the i5? I'm just curious because they are a little hungry and I would love to hear I can go for an i5 instead of paying extra for the i7 :)

Haven't really tried since I only use it for demo guitars, leads and vocal delays. I think I've ran five or six instances at the most and haven't gone much over 20% CPU load.

strange, i've found pod farm to be very light, compared to other amp sims..

i've ran 4 at once, and the CPU meter wasn't even close to 50%..