Buying a new Imac tomorrow need OPINIONS!

melovine

Feb 10, 2009
Im currently running on a mac book pro 2.4ghz dual core system with 4 gb of ram, im looking at picking up an Imac 21" system tomorrow, but i need a professional opinion between the 2.5ghz and 2.7ghz system and whether or not its worth the extra $300.

right now im budgeting $2100

this is what im looking to do so far

Imac 21" 2.5ghz quad core processor (8gb ram upgrade)=$1299
+ Logic 9 =$499
+ Slate VCC =$249 (this one can be expendable)

comes out to roughly $2050

any opinions???

thanks!

Hackintosh.
I built one for $900 USD.

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6870
RAM: Corsair Vengence Blu 1600Mhz DDR3 (8GB)
Case: Antec Three Hundred
Power Supply: OCZ 500w ModXStream Pro
Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc
Files Drive: Corsair 120GB SATA III SSDHard Drive: WD Caviar Green 2 TB
System Drive: Kingston SSD HD 64GB
Firewire Card: Syba SD-PEX30009
Snow Leopard Retail.

Wonders.

Hackintosh.

Snow Leopard Retail.

Wonders.

THIS.

I've just upgraded from a 2.6ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro to a 3.4ghz quad i7 iMac. If you're doing big mixes you'll want to go for the 27 inch pretty much spec'd up fully. I put 16GB of RAM in mine too (you can put 32 but it's not officially supported). SSD and an ATA drive too.

Hackintosh.

Snow Leopard Retail.

Wonders.

Nice. All of that and no Apple customer support/service? Killer deal.

:p

Not sure if this matters to you, but if you buy Logic 9 in the App Store, it's $200 instead of the $500. Granted it doesn't include the jam packs and audio content, but I doubt you are worried about that.

I sprung for the i7 2.8 iMac. My friend has the i5 2.5. Doesn't seem to be all that much difference. And mine was like $500 more...

Don't pay Apple extra for the RAM, do it yourself - it's the one user serviceable part that won't void your warranty.

And the processor bump won't make a dramatic difference - would be much better spent on mics etc.

And when you buy Logic from the App Store you can then download all the additional content afterwards at no cost.

Also, wait until the next refresh to even buy the iMac.
This.

All Macs except for the iMac have been refreshed (although the real Mac Pro updates are coming 2013), the iMac hasn't been for over 400 days, the normal cycle is around 270. So you're buying a system that's well over a year old.. I wouldn't do it.
THis is a good indicator when to buy a Mac: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iMac

According to this the iMac will probably be updated within this year: http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/12...c-pro-and-imac-designs-likely-coming-in-2013/

Also, wait until the next refresh to even buy the iMac.

I'm waiting for this too.

BUT the new macbook pro has the ram soldered in so you can't upgrade it. If the this is the case with the iMacs then I'm just going to get a refurbished old model and install the ram + SSD myself.

The new Mac Pro model is a joke. They barely upgraded it from its old specs.

I'm waiting for this too.

BUT the new macbook pro has the ram soldered in so you can't upgrade it. If the this is the case with the iMacs then I'm just going to get a refurbished old model and install the ram + SSD myself.

The new Mac Pro model is a joke. They barely upgraded it from its old specs.

Tim Cook also said that what they announced about the Mac Pro isn't the actual refresh they are shooting for, later this year will be bigger changes.

I highly doubt they are going to make iMacs so that you can't add/upgrade ram.

The MacBook Pro Retina has soldered RAM. The normal ones still have your standard user-replaceable RAM. I know that's what you meant, but I just wanted to clarify that. Also, the MBPR can be upgraded to 16 GB of RAM for $200. $180 if you can get a student discount. That's a pretty good deal, IMO. Although, if you need more than 16 GB of RAM, it could be a bit of a hassle. I haven't run into any issues needing that much, but I know a few guys around here might need more.

I actually just bought the Retina version. My 08 Mac Pro died last month via a lightning strike, and I just couldn't wait any longer for a replacement machine. The MBPR will have to do. Good news is that it's currently on par with the 2010 Mac Pro 8 core model, according to Geekbench. Pretty powerful for a laptop...but it's still a laptop. I'm still wondering if my Duet will work with the FW dongle that's supposed to come out in July.

^^^ DEFINITELY buy refurbished. Our Mac Pro at the studio and two of my friends iMacs are refurbs. They all work flawlessly, have a warranty, and were hundreds cheaper.

I cant say thank you enough for the tip on buying logic from the app store! also the refurbished route seems like an awesome way to go, any catches?