Planning on buying a new computer tomorrow. Need advice!

chewyfhtts

Oct 24, 2009
OK so tomorrow I plan to make a purchase. I'm either thinking, should I upgrade my current system (which runs like absolute shit) or purchase a totally new system all together.

I'll be running Pro Tools LE, with either a USB or Firewire interface. That can change depending on where I take the tower to do a session. On Windows XP.

My current system:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ 2.81GHz.
Some Gigabyte Motherboard - It was like the cheapest model.
4GB of crappy generic RAM. (So 3.43GB in XP)
I'm using the video card on the motherboard (yeah I know, shame on me)

Now my question is: Is the processor still decent? If so will it be more beneficial to upgrade that system? Or to buy a new one with a faster processor + better everything?

I have about $650.00 AUD to spend, which is about $587.00 USD or 397 euros.

Also which version of Windows should I plan on running for PT LE? XP? SP 1, 2, or 3? etc..

I think you should do a little more than 1 day worth of looking into this. With your budget, you *might* be able to upgrade to something more to your liking, but again you might want to do a little more research and everything rather than just do whatever you think everyone here says within 1 day. My vote says sit on the cash and do some homework before you decide.

Your processor should be good enough, some might say an Intel processor would suit DAW needs better. Anyone know why this is or is it just bullshit?

At any rate, I'd also say do some more research.

Executioner213 said:
I think you should do a little more than 1 day worth of looking into this. With your budget, you *might* be able to upgrade to something more to your liking, but again you might want to do a little more research and everything rather than just do whatever you think everyone here says within 1 day. My vote says sit on the cash and do some homework before you decide.

Yeh the reason I was gonna buy it in 1 day was cos this system is dying on me, and I need to get stuff done by the end of this week to send off to a producer who is mixing/mastering. But anyway I've sorted that out and have borrowed a dual core intel machine from a friend to work on for this project. But I'll be looking at upgrading/buying in the next couple of weeks.

greyskull said:
heres my advice.
go to the apple store

I wish I could :D

sopulurn said:
Your processor should be good enough, some might say an Intel processor would suit DAW needs better. Anyone know why this is or is it just bullshit?

After using the intel processor for the last few days. It's definitely running a lot better than my AMD. I would like to know why as well :)

This is running XP Home SP3, where as my AMD was running XP Pro SP2.. Would this make a difference also?

Man I wish I was more computer savvy. I just need a system that won't slow down on me! (aka HD rig)