Upgrading Computer & Pro Tools on Win 7 - Need Help

ruckus328

Nov 2, 2009
Philly USA
Hey guys, Pro Tools is bogging down on my so going to do some upgrading. Just ordered a Profire 2626 as my interface but don't know how much that will actually help system performance (I'm currently just using a Fast Track Pro).

As far as system I'm running WinXP 32 Bit, Core 2 Duo 3 Ghz, and 4 Megs of RAM. Pro Tools M-Powered 7.4.

I'm going to upgrade to a 64 Bit OS so I can increase my RAM, I can get a free copy of Win 7 through my company access so that's not costing me anything BUT, has ANYONE gotten Pro Tools M-Powered working on Windows 7 64Bit ??? If it won't work I'm stuck with the 4 Gigs of RAM max and that answers my question below. I know it works on Vista 64 but it doesn't look like you can get that anywhere anymore.

As far as hardware upgrade I'm on a budget so I can only do one or the other right now, and wait a month to do the other. So my question is:

Will I get more performance increases putting in 8 Gigs of RAM (that's of course if it will work with Windows 7)

or

Going to a Quad Core 3.0 Ghz Processor?

OK, I lucked out, software guy has open licenses for Vista Business 64, so he's getting me a copy of that. What a sweet hookup lol. So, my question remains - What gives me more bang?:

3.0 Ghz Dual Core w/ 8 GB of RAM

or....

3.0 GHz Quad Core w/ 4 GB of RAM.

I know Pro Tools will utilize the RAM but I'm unclear how much it actually utilized multiple cores.