Suggestion.. Im bulding a new computer. :)

xmortumx

Jun 17, 2008
Well i think its time for me to upgrade my computer, now that quad cores are much cheaper I want to build a new computer.

What I was wondering is what Cpus and motherboards you guys suggest. Currently i have AMD dual 2.01Ghz with 4 gigs ram, but i find that not enough(might be my computer, but after having my DAW on for like 1 hour my cpu usage goes high and i get crackling sounds of my monitors....wondering why.) anyways heres what i have in mind.

Cpu:Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 (heard nothing but positive things about this cpu, able to overclock) 198$

Motherboard:Asus P5Q Core 2 Extreme/ Intel P45 (Although im still debating about motherboard's, im taking this one into consideration but what you guys suggest) 110$

Ram im just using the same RAM i currently have and my case.

Video card: Not sure i want something cheap so i can use 2 monitors.

If anyone has any further suggestions go ahead im looking into building a computer that can handle lots of plug-ins and just to be more reliable than my current pc :)

Not really looking to waste more than 500 bucks just need to upgrade primarily cpu and motherboard. thanks

I have the same crackling problem now and then with my athlon, but it's working better since I cleaned some of the shit off it! Either way i';d also like to know what would be best in terms of an upgrade.

SO you also get those pops, and crackling noises when having ur daw open for a while?

Thats f*ucking! annoying huh,

But yeah i been researching im im thinking about the Intel Core i7 920. Around 90$ more that the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600.

But i want to hear other people inputs too.

I would recommend getting 3x1GB sticks of DDR3, if you go with the Core i7, to get the maximum performance (at the moment, the i7 supports a helluva lot more bandwidth ;)).

Remember that you need a 64-bit OS to use more than 4 GB of memory and to effectively use over 2.7-3.5 GB of memory (depending on your overall setup: GPU memory, amount of add-on cards and the mobo).

Yeah dude the thing is that my daw is cubase and i dont think i want to buy xp64 and i dont know if cubase supports 64bit( Does it?)

I just want an efficient computer to support lots of plug ins with no porblems.

I mean if the Intel Q6600 is enough, than i rather go that route since its cheaper and i Already have the Ram for it.

BTW do you run 64bit system? If you do, can u still use all old vst, and daw such as cubase in it? Will they run better or not really since there not meant to take advatge of teh multi-cores.

Yeah dude the thing is that my daw is cubase and i dont think i want to buy xp64 and i dont know if cubase supports 64bit( Does it?)

Cubase SX3, 4 and 5 support 64-bit fully. (The "student version" doesn't work though :saint: )

BTW do you run 64bit system? If you do, can u still use all old vst, and daw such as cubase in it? Will they run better or not really since there not meant to take advatge of teh multi-cores.

Actually all DAWs support and benefit from multicore systems by nature. If anything, DAW work is multithreaded: basically you benefit from as many cores as you have TRACKS in your project :lol: Each track adds a parallel thread.

Oh Sweet.

Then im look into the the Intel i7 theres actually a deal in ewiz.com that comes with Mother board,cpu and 6gb of Ram for 529$

Quick question if i do decide to go with 64bit, u guys suggest xp64 or vista64. Ive had vista before but had problems with driver compatibility, will xp64 hav some driver issues, or some programs wont be able to run, such as old plug-ins.

heres my input, i7 chips, motherboards, and ddr3 are still way too damn overpriced. I'd recommend a q9550 and overclocking it to buggery unless you are extremely loaded. Mine is sat at 3.8ghz passive cooled (no fans or water) and its pretty much as fast as i could dream.

Quick question if i do decide to go with 64bit, u guys suggest xp64 or vista64. Ive had vista before but had problems with driver compatibility, will xp64 hav some driver issues, or some programs wont be able to run, such as old plug-ins.

Vista 64 is the lesser of two evils. The driver support is extremely sketchy for XP 64-bit. You will have a hard time finding anything as it was basically a public beta in a way and driver support was always limited.

Im using the Q6600 with a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P motherboard.
Been using it since June 2008 and no problems so far.
It has TI firewire chipset which works really well with my Saffire Pro 10.
Works great with my two UAD-1 cards too.

Is there a huge difference between the intel Q6600 and Q9550?

The Q9550 is about the same prize as the i7 (around 280$) I wonder why?

Also is it better that the firewire port is integrated to the motherboard? Or buying a separate PCI firewire(texas Instrument) better?

Go with an ASUS mobo, and I would buy some quality ram....

I have never had a problem with mobo firewire, but alot of people have, and you can't go wrong with a TI based pci card.

Is there a huge difference between the intel Q6600 and Q9550?

The Q9550 is about the same prize as the i7 (around 280$) I wonder why?

In games, the Q9550/Q6600 are almost the same as i7 920, but they lose big time in multitasking. The difference between Q6600 and Q9550 is a different manufacturing process (65 nm vs. 45 nm), support for DDR3 memory for Q9550, and the Q9550 overclocks better.

Also is it better that the firewire port is integrated to the motherboard? Or buying a separate PCI firewire(texas Instrument) better?

It doesn't matter, as long as it works. But if the integrated controller doesn't have a TI chipset, then you're just paying extra for nothing.