Post your computer specs

AdamWathan

Apr 12, 2002
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Just curious what everyone here is using for their audio machines... Particularly interested in anyone using laptops for general purpose + recording and how their machines handle even medium sized projects...

Right now I'm using a laptop for general purpose + audio but it has begun to crap out lately and I'm not sure if it's a matter of the quality of the computer or some dumb setup flaw :guh:

HP Pavillion Laptop
2ghz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
4gb ram
320gb HD
Vista 64 Home Premium

Craps out with less than 30 tracks and no CPU intensive plugins :erk:

My desktop that I just ordered is as follows...
Intel Q6700 Core 2 Quad 2.66ghz CPU
4gb OCZ Platinum 1033hmz RAM
2 x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HDs
XP Pro 32 bit (yeah I know I can't use all my ram but what the hell)

I'm worried based on the problems I ran into last night that this new machine is going to give me the same grief, I can't figure out how my laptop could possibly be underpowered for handling like 24 tracks of audio. The CPU was hovering around 90% the whole time and crackling/slowing down/stopping constantly :erk:

My new PC should have no trouble running pretty intense projects right? Everything I've read leads me to believe a Q6600 with 2gb of ram on XP is more than powerful enough for almost any non-completely ridiculous project...

My desktop:
Intel Q6600 Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz ( OC'ed to 2.6Ghz )
4GB RAM
2 x 320GB HDD 7200 rpm
XP Pro 32 bit, optimized for audio

It runs everything great. Never had a hiccup, even with a ton of processing going on. I have issues with PLAY, but that's the only thing really.

My laptop looks like this:
AMD Turion 1.8GHz dual core
2GB RAM
160GB HDD

And it ran fine with the Firepod, as long as I didn't have any amp sims going. Couldn't handle more than one or two of those before it'd start stuttering horribly.

Intel Core i7 920
6gb G.skill-nq 1333mhz
Asus P6T
Inno3d GTX275
3 x Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB
1 x Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB
Windows 7 RC1 64-bit & 32-bit (dual-boot, with RAID0 audio partition).

TheDriller, what rel. version of hackintosh OS X ?

here is mine:
Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows XP Professional and Windows 7 RC1 dual-boot
Processor Name: Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6750
Motherboard Model: Giga-Byte GA-EP35-DS3R
RAM Module Size: 4096 MBytes
Firewire Card: Texas Instruments TSB43AB23 1394A
4x Seagate 250 GB

NEC MultiSync 2470WNX (24" with S-PVA panel, 1920x1200 native, shoulder-firing, fucking expensive)
Intel Core i7 920
Asus P6T Deluxe
RME Fireface 400
Behringer Truth B2030A
3 x 1 GB Corsair DDR3-10666
Sapphire Radeon HD4870 512 MB
1 TB Western Digital RE3 SATA-II + 500 GB Western Digital Caviar SE SATA-II + 320 GB Western Digital Caviar SE16 SATA-II
Antec P150 + Corsair HX620 620W + Zalman Fan Controller + 1 x Nexus Silent 120mm + 2 x Nexus Silent 92mm
Logitech G11 + Logitech G5
Belkin FW card (PCI express, Texas Instruments chip)
Samsung 18x DVD±RW/DL SATA
Windows XP Pro SP3

Amd phenom 9580 processor Quadcore 2.5 ghz
Motherboard : Asus M2N-VM HDMI
4 gigs of Ram
hd 500 gb
external hd 160 gb
graphic card : integrated in motherboard (i dont play games so...) Nvidia geforce 7050PV

Screen : Acer al1916w 19" widescreen

Toshiba X205-9349
Core 2 Duo 1.8GHz w 4GB Ram
2x 120 GB HDD Serial ATA-150 5400
Texas Instruments 1394 Firewire
LaCie Little Big Disk 1TB External 7200 Firewire Drive
Windows Vista Home Premium
Sonar 8PE

For what I do it suits me fine - nothing fancy. I've never had issues with the size of projects I've done, but then again it's only for personal use and none of my projects are what I would consider large.

Jind

Right now I'm using a laptop for general purpose + audio but it has begun to crap out lately and I'm not sure if it's a matter of the quality of the computer or some dumb setup flaw :guh:

HP Pavillion Laptop
2ghz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
4gb ram
320gb HD
Vista 64 Home Premium

Craps out with less than 30 tracks and no CPU intensive plugins :erk:

a few things
it's Vista 64, the OS isn't great, uses a lot of resources unless you disable almost everything.
Manufacturers only half assed (if at all) support Vista 64. So unless you run Sonar 8 with Edirol hardware, there's no point in going with Vista 64. Stick with XP until Windows 7 has been proven to be better.

You don't mention an external firewire drive, it's essential for working off a laptop.

You usually need to tweak the BIOS settings a bit to get the best performance.
Disabling speedstepping and trying out different RAM timings can make a HUGE difference.

Good luck with your new PC. Should be a dream to use compared to what you're used to.

My specs
Windows XP Pro 32 bit (3GB switch enabled)
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 cooled with Thermaltake Ultima
4GB OCZ 800MHz RAM (timing tweaked in BIOS)
Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT
Siig 2port firewire (PCI-E TI chip)
Antec P182 case
Enermax Modu+82 PSU

a few things
it's Vista 64, the OS isn't great, uses a lot of resources unless you disable almost everything.
Manufacturers only half assed (if at all) support Vista 64. So unless you run Sonar 8 with Edirol hardware, there's no point in going with Vista 64. Stick with XP until Windows 7 has been proven to be better.

You don't mention an external firewire drive, it's essential for working off a laptop.

You usually need to tweak the BIOS settings a bit to get the best performance.
Disabling speedstepping and trying out different RAM timings can make a HUGE difference.

Good luck with your new PC. Should be a dream to use compared to what you're used to.

Cheers man, I will have to do some research on some of that stuff as it's a bit foreign to me!

Do you mean an external firewire HD or an external firewire card since the chipset in the laptop is most likely shit?

I'm guessing I should probably throw XP on the laptop then, I feel like it has the potential at least to be a somewhat reliable machine for mixing less intensive projects at least...

haha Adam-I'm using a HP Pavillion, too (got it pretty cheap because my girlfriend's mother works at HP)!
But I just installed Win7 on it, just need a new Firewire Expresscard-but that's no problem.

My former "workingstation" was a Fujitsu Siemens with 512Mb Ram, 1,6ghz, 20gb and that's it...

One of the slower ones here but oh well:

Core 2 Duo - 2.2ghz
2 gig Ram
500 gig hard drive
Radeon HD 2600 Pro
XP 32bit

Ha! I can beat you in slowness!! :)

Compaq Presario V2030
Pentium M 1.5Ghz
1GB RAM
WinXP
80GB drive

The biggest project I have running right now is around 30 tracks, each track running 1-2 plugs (usually stock Reaper comp & EQ). I can track drums with all 8 FP10 inputs going with no problem, and I'm tracking individual tracks (gtr, vox) at 6.5ms latency. That usually puts the CPU at around 65% usage.

Granted, I've got pretty much EVERYTHING disabled in XP - no sounds, no background, and I've tweaked things using TweakUI.

Thankfully, when it comes to final mixing, I can just slide everything over to my wife's Duo Core 2.66Ghz laptop with 4GB ram and Vista. That doesn't have a Firewire port, though, so I'm stuck tracking on the old laptop unless I wanted to trade the FP10 for a USB2.0 interface (which I don't want to do).

macbook pro, 2.16ghz, 2gb of ram

was hoping to get a mac pro this summer, but my lack of job says otherwise, i might still be able to build a new PC.. might go down the i920 route!

Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83ghz,
4gb ram6 800mhz ddr2
500gb hdd
nvidia gt9500

running XP Pro 32bit SP3

tis a monster. got it super cheap last month on ebay - just 422 GBP. i'm NOWHERE near utilising its capabilities, and as my bandmate PC geek mate has told me i can overclock it massively with negligible risk if i ever do start to max it out.

Cheers man, I will have to do some research on some of that stuff as it's a bit foreign to me!

Do you mean an external firewire HD or an external firewire card since the chipset in the laptop is most likely shit?

I'm guessing I should probably throw XP on the laptop then, I feel like it has the potential at least to be a somewhat reliable machine for mixing less intensive projects at least...

Firewire HD.

Unless the laptop no longer boots, has a dead battery or has missing parts, keep using for a mobile rig.