Question about my computer.

Jun 22, 2009
St. Pete, Florida
When running a bit of plugins, my computer lags like a bitch.
What would i upgrade to make it so this doesn't happen as often?

Specs;
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz
512mb(x2) DDR RAM

I'm currently running XP.
Any recommendations or advice?

Also, is this considered a good computer for mixing or should i just upgrade all together?

Hahah c'mon man!!! How old is that computer??? You need atleast 2xcore and 4gig ram if you dont want to bounce stems all the time. 4xcore with 6-8gig ram would be awesome.
Or.... the 12xcore that comes with the new Mac hehe :D

my computer has the same CPU with 3gb RAM, and is unsuitable for projects that require anything more than 18-20 tracks, and even then it's a stretch

in short, don't mess with upgrades...just save some $$ and get a new quadcore or something

for real...i have to bounce and freeze the shit out of sooooooooooooooo many tracks when mixing, and i'm rocking like 6x as much RAM as him

thank god a new PC is on the horizon for me soon! :Smokin:

put something other than windows xp on there. xp is a 32 bit os, so you will only be able to use 3 gigs of ram. get a comp that can handle a 64bit os like windows 7 and buy at least 8 gigs of ram. that should do it. plus, an extra terabyte hard drive never hurt.

P4's are not 64bit unless you got one of the interim Prescott's so adding more than 4GB ram is a waste. Win7-32 will run on that platform with more than 1GB mem. Upgrade to a Core2 or faster.

I forgot about that, mostly becuase the only P4 that I had was a prescott even though it only had 512MB of RAM on XP 32-bit.

Only problem he would have going to Win7 32-bit is that upgrading RAM from the very ancient DDR platform would be almost as much as completely building (or buying) a new system.

You're dead on about that. Finding RDRAM is a royal pain, especially in larger sizes. Core2's are cheap right now as are DDR2/DDR3, if you're on a budget. Otherwise if you're feeling rich, Sandy Bridge comes out this week. AVX will crush.

I forgot about that, mostly becuase the only P4 that I had was a prescott even though it only had 512MB of RAM on XP 32-bit.

Only problem he would have going to Win7 32-bit is that upgrading RAM from the very ancient DDR platform would be almost as much as completely building (or buying) a new system.