Best 8 channel interface for use with a Mac and Logic?

AdamWathan

Apr 12, 2002
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
So apparently my Onyx 1200F will not function properly with a Mac, other users on the Mackie forum are experiencing the same problems as me and no one has been able to come up with a solution. Click and pops constantly for no reason, the same project runs fine using my internal Macbook speakers running under the core audio drivers.

My dilemma here blows, it's either return the Macbook Pro and suck it up with Reaper on my recording PC, or try and get rid of the Onyx and blow even more money on a new interface that works more reliably under OS X.

I was looking at the Apogee Ensemble because I know it will work flawlessly with my Mac, same with a Metric Halo or MOTU interface, but the Ensemble is $2k and only offers a total of 16 inputs, with only 4 preamps built in. What interfaces are the Logic users here running?

if your on a mac you can use 8pres by motu.

8 pres, each with gain knob, pad, +48
2 balanced outs
1 headphone out
1 adat in
1 adat out

so you have 8 channels analog and 8 digital.

i would prefer to get another 8 pre daisy chain them with fire wire and have 16 analog 16 digital 4 outs.

also you'll have a cue mix engine to do zero latency monitoring with a software mixer.

(btw, PC USERS DON'T BUY AN 8pre!!! you can not daisy chain them with firewire!!!!)

Why would you get rid of the Onyx? Couldn't you use its preamps via ADAT? Maybe a Aurora 8/FW Offer if you are looking at a highend 8 channel interface.

99% sure I am trading my Onyx to Ryan for his Profire but just to be certain, any of you guys running Snow Leopard with it and still no issues? Also, anyone using an 09 Macbook Pro? I have no idea what the chipset in this one is...

Mackie are bastards and told me over the phone that OS X 10.6 is not supported, only 10.3.9 and 10.4. Website says 10.3.9 and up. Faggots.

FWIW, Adam, my FF800 has performed flawlessly on both Leopard and Snow Leopard, as well as XP. It's a bit more expensive than the 2626, doesn't let you run PTMP, and has less inputs, but the overall quality and converters are far better, not to mention the stability and routing matrix!

FWIW, Adam, my FF800 has performed flawlessly on both Leopard and Snow Leopard, as well as XP. It's a bit more expensive than the 2626, doesn't let you run PTMP, and has less inputs, but the overall quality and converters are far better, not to mention the stability and routing matrix!

Yeah I honestly really want to end up with a Fireface at some point but I can't trade my Onyx for one and lose 8 preamps :/ with the Profire at least I can get an FF800 down the road and still run it in standalone as an 8 channel preamp.

I am having the shittiest luck ever with this switch.

The only decent firewire interface they do is the Ensemble though, which only has 4 preamps and a maximum of 16 inputs (only 8 channels of ADAT)... Kind of limiting for twice the price of a Fireface.

The Ensemble isn't twice the price of the FF800, which also has only 4 mic pres also. I considered both for my iMac/Logic 8 setup and ended up buying a used Ensemble for $1300. I don't find 18 inputs to be limiting at all.

If you read my original post about the Fireface you would see that I don't want one of those right now either because I only have one 8 channel preamp, and I need at least 16 inputs to even get by so anything with 4 preamps is out of the question right now. I see used Ensembles for about $1500 and a used FF800 from $900-$1000 so yeah I was exaggerating a bit but it's still more expensive for far less feature wise. Maxing out at 18 inputs is definitely limiting, I need at least 15 to record a standard 5 piece drum kit, let alone the big kits that come along with the whole metal thing. If the Ensemble had 16 channels of ADAT instead of 8 I would definitely be considering one down the road, Apogee stuff is the perfect choice for Mac/Logic as long as it has enough i/o to satisfy your needs.

I hear good things about those, but they're just 8 channel high-quality pre's. He needs an interface. Two grand is also a hefty penny for me to toss away!

your running pretty much all the same stuff I am haha. Its a great combination though. I think logic is really streamlined, and decreases my mix times! the profire is awesome as well. the octane pre`s are pretty nice and the software mixer is cool too