thinking of going rackmount

bloodsoakedchevy

New Metal Member
Apr 11, 2002
medina NY
Visit site
well, im sick of my head. its a crate turbovalve120, it seems like i can never get a sound i like out of it. im using a metalzone with a boss equalizer,(the stock distortion channel sux) but i still never like the sound, its either too much bass, and making my speakers puke, or not enough and palm mutes sound like shit.new preamp tubes might clear that up though, i noticed one of them is burned out. anyway, i was thinking about going to a rocktron gainiac pre amp, with some power amp(my cabinet holds 800 watts, room to expand), just wondering what you guys think about rackmount.the way i see it, when i get more money i can add on alot more to it to make it even better

What do I think about going rackmount?

Well, first, you gotta be aware that you'll have one more heavy item to carry. (Your cabs, plus your rack and guitars, if you're playing shows...) Second, you're going to have to drop some cash to get a full system up and going. Third, you're going to go through a bit of trial and error (read: spending money to find what you like and don't)....

I'm still building my rack setup, and it's getting expensive. :-\

Why don't you try going with a Boss DS-1, or OD-1. The MT-2 is a good band-aid for horrible sounding amps, and that Crate should be able to get a decent distortion sound with a little help.

I recently bought a phat Mesa Boogie Triaxis through a Quadraverb FX and Peavey power amp. Phat! I had a 5150 II head before it (well I still have it), which had a sucky ass clean. I like that I can get full control with it (all the fx of the quadraverb and channels of preamp) through a midi pedal, which can't be done with a head as easily. That's why racks are good. They also look hella cool and professional. So now I don't need to practice as much, because I already seem good.