This Ending - Inside the Machine

Tom Strutton

Oct 23, 2006
This Ending - Inside the Machine
Metal Blade Records - SPV CD O85 -105332 - 4th December 2006
by Tom Strutton

FrontImage1.jpg

This Ending is the reincarnation of '90s melodeath outfit A Canorous Quintet, which disbanded in 1998. Despite being early players in the development of the Gothenburg sound, A Canorous Quintet fell short of the level of commercial success attained by their pioneering melodeath peers. Newly reformed under the moniker The Plague(later changed to This Ending), their debut lp (or comeback - whichever way you'd prefer to look at it) released in 2006 was assuredly anticipated and faced high expectations. Given the change in name, one is encouraged to believe that This Ending would prefer to start with a clean slate, and will probably get fed up to the teeth with reading reviews of Inside the Machine that begin by retracing the former band's history. Sadly, such is the state of journalism, which is as replete with irritating conventions as the next publicly scrutinised discipline.

On second thoughts, perhaps it wouldn't be too much of a bad idea to begin this review with a 300+word biography - it would certainly rectify the problem of having to think of different ways to say that Inside the Machine is uncompromisingly bland. Riffs such as the ones you will find here simply don't cut it, especially considering the wealth of inventive riffs the '00s decade has given us so far (hands down the best decade for metal yet). Compensating for the colorless guitar work, Frederik Andersson's tight drumming is sensitive, tasteful and brutal. Similarly, there is nothing offputting about Marten Hansen's vocal performance, although some may reasonably argue that it lacks character and seems to be serving a function out of necessity rather than making an artistic contribution. There is no real force behind the production, which, while suitably bleak and cold in harmony with Hansen's nihilistic ranting, leaves a feeling of halfway emptiness where one should be left feeling dirty and abused (well, at least if you're into aural sadism like me). In terms of songwriting, Inside the Machine gives a masterclass in encouraging it's listeners to reach for the skip button on their player.

There is a line dividing bands that do melodic death metal well and those that treat it like paint-by-numbers. This Ending find themselves firmly in the latter camp, which is currently overpopulated to the point of imploding. If you are a hardcore fanboy of this genre, check out Inside the Machine, love it, and duly start sending me hate mail. If you feel strongly that the Gothenburg sound has overstayed its welcome and is giving birth to pastiches of itself, avoid this like the plague.

Official This Ending Website
Official Metal Blade Records Website

:tickled:

You could see this one a mile off....

Metal Blade Label: check
Metalcore / Gothenburg sounding band name: check
Crappy photoshop cover: check
Promo sheet comparing them to At the Gates: probably

You really need to stop reviewing promos like these, haha. If you're going to spend the time writing reviews, tell us what we should be listening to, promo or otherwise. Give a band some attention it deserves and probably doesn't get!!!

Riffs such as the ones you will find here simply don't cut it, especially considering the wealth of inventive riffs the '00s decade has given us so far (hands down the best decade for metal yet).

Examples please. :)

Occasionally, This Ending sound like Amon Amarth, which isn't surprising since they share a drummer. Not worth looking into, as you said Tom.

Right, I can totally see why a negative review might be needed for a band like, say, Maiden or Amon Amarth, because you know it's going to get attention anyway, but an unknown gothenburg clone? Not so sure if anyone cares. Thing is, my point was in context with Tom suggesting that the '00s has been the the "best decade for metal yet". I'm all ears. :p

Here are some other names This Ending might like to choose from:

This is the End (of My Career)
Never Ending (Songs of Blandness)
This Must Be Stopped. Now
When will it end?!

Hey JayKeeley, I have total respect for what you say.

The reason I don't give examples of better bands is because it would be unfair to list a few and leave out hundreds of other better bands i.e. I would come across as giving free advertising to certain bands, something I endeavour to avoid in reviews.

Trust me, I'd love to get lots of fantastic promos and sing their praises to you every time, but such an angle would paint a misleading portrait of the music industry. If you wanna hear me give love to a recent record check then out the Stylex review in the non-metal reveiws section.

As for the current decade being the best for metal yet, here's my reasoning:

Technical death metal and progressive metal have reached unprecedented heights of ferocity, complexity and ingenuity (you don't need me to list bands to prove this). Metal has branched into more subgenres than ever before, opening itself to wider avenues of expression. The '00s are an historically appropriate time to witness such an artistic flourishing since it hosts a generation of musicians who grew up listening and learning from precursive 80s and 90s metal. I'm not trying to dumb down what is undoubtedly a complex cultural phenomenon, but I'm afraid I'm too busy to write lots right now.

Oh...and count me in on the listening/drinking session too

So first of all, drinks are on me. Or at least the first couple of rounds anyway. :tickled: Secondly, if anyone is going to Metal Camp in Slovenia this summer, let me know because I'll be there.

The reason I don't give examples of better bands is because it would be unfair to list a few and leave out hundreds of other better bands i.e. I would come across as giving free advertising to certain bands, something I endeavour to avoid in reviews.

Trust me, I'd love to get lots of fantastic promos and sing their praises to you every time, but such an angle would paint a misleading portrait of the music industry.

I know exactly what you're saying. I guess my point was along the lines of you having to spend the energy to write something that might end up being a little redundant.

If you briefly scan across the reviews page here, the average post count for each review is between 4 or 5 response posts. Some of those are made by yourselves. It skews dramatically when you look at the Opeth review, but that's no shocker.

So I'm just curious as to whether you guys would IN ADDITION think about reviewing your own private collection, or in other words, stuff that wasn't necessarily sent to you by a label in promo format. Stuff that might garner discussion.

This would be real balance IMO. Offering a voice for the labels you choose to support and likewise providing some spotlight on bands that you think might deserve an audience.

Those are just my two cents / pennies.

As for the current decade being the best for metal yet, here's my reasoning:

Technical death metal and progressive metal have reached unprecedented heights of ferocity, complexity and ingenuity (you don't need me to list bands to prove this). Metal has branched into more subgenres than ever before, opening itself to wider avenues of expression. The '00s are an historically appropriate time to witness such an artistic flourishing since it hosts a generation of musicians who grew up listening and learning from precursive 80s and 90s metal. I'm not trying to dumb down what is undoubtedly a complex cultural phenomenon, but I'm afraid I'm too busy to write lots right now.

I agree. Having been into metal since the 80's, I surprise even myself when I look at my all time top 20 list and see so many releases from the mid-90's through to today. That said, I purposely shift the nostalgia element to one side and recognize that so many of my favorite old CDs are simply guilty pleasures at this junction.

So anyway, when folks say that the last few years has been evolutionary for metal, I'm always curious to see/hear further examples. It's a never ending learning process, after all.