This is so sad

The death of a contender

104981078530.jpg

"I just want to get it done, come home, and continue my life."

Those were just about the last words that Gennaro Pellegrini, Jr. -- a 31-year-old Philly cop and up-and-coming boxer -- said to us when we spoke last last November. In less than 48 hours, Pellegrini was about to step onto an airplane bound for Iraq, along with the rest of his Pennsylvania National Guard unit from Northeast Philadelphia.

For anyone who's worried about the return of a military draft, Pellegrini was living proof that we already have one in George W. Bush's America. He desperately did not want to serve in the Persian Gulf.

He was just two weeks away from finishing up his six-year stint in the Guard when he was told that his tour of duty was being extended and that he would serve in Iraq for at least a year, maybe longer. The news could not have come at a worse time for Pellegrini. He was training for his first pro fight, newly engaged to be married, and settling into his job as a Philadelphia police officer, just like his dad.

Instead, he was ordered by his government to fight a war that he did not believe in. He told us that the conflict in Iraq was "a so-called war" and that he saw U.S. troops as caught in an impossible situation.

In the end, Pellegrini's stay in Iraq lasted little more than eight months. Yesterday morning, his parents were notified that he had been killed in action. So far, no specifics have been released -- but when we learn more we will post it.

There is so much sadness, and so much irony. The news of his death comes at the very same time that a right-wing slime machine is trying to put words in the mouth of a dead Marine, 24-year-old Casey Sheehan. They have engaged in obscene speculation that he would not have wanted his mother Cindy Sheehan -- the anti-war protester now camped outside the Bush compound in Crawford, Texas -- speaking out.

The obvious reality is that we'll never know exactly what Casey Sheehan, who was ambushed and killed in Sadr City in April 2004, thought about the war. But we do know what Gennaro Pellegrini thought, because he told us. A four-year veteran of the Philadelphia police force, he seemed to know what has eluded the grasp of the Pentagon, that the situation on the ground in Iraq was unworkable.

"This isn't a war they're giving us over there - this is policing stuff," he told us.

Pellegrini was living a happy normal -- actually better than normal -- life when he got the phone call in spring 2004 sending to Iraq, which he took while playing Sony Playstation with a young nephew inside his rowhouse in Port Richmond. He had just gone 17-1 as an amatuer fighter and was training for his first -- and only -- pro bout at the legendary Blue Horizon in North Philly, which he later won in a 4th round knockout.

"I was mad," he recalled. Indeed, anyone who wants to romanticize military service should have had a chance to speak with Pellegrini. When we did last November, he said he was already out of shape after his training in Louisiana, and that his fiancee had left him. But like thousands of other Guard members and reservists sent to war through a backdoor draft, he was a good citizen who did what his government asked of him.

We pray for his soul and for his family. In the ring, Gennaro Pellegrini was nearly unbeaten. But he knew Iraq was the opponent he couldn't size up, and so this was the bout that he did not want. And now a true contender has been cut down -- for good.

And for what?

jesus wept...

Myers: Possibility of third Iraq tours for active-duty troops 'always out there'

By Lisa Burgess, Stars and Stripes
European edition, Wednesday, August 10, 2005

ARLINGTON, Va. — The U.S. military is “good for several years” if the current troop level in Iraq must be sustained, but third tours for active-duty servicemembers might be needed, Gen. Richard Myers, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said Tuesday.

goddam these people are so fucking tacky

Is he fucking kidding?

All hail dear leader and his glorious war in Iraq

Pentagon announces September 11 concert
Washington
August 10, 2005 - 1:36PM

The Pentagon would hold a massive march and country music concert to mark the fourth anniversary of the September 11 terrorist attacks, US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said in an announcement tucked into an Iraq war briefing today.

"This year the Department of Defence will initiate an America Supports Your Freedom Walk," Rumsfeld said, adding that the march would remind people of "the sacrifices of this generation and of each previous generation".

The march will start at the Pentagon, where nearly 200 people died on September 11, 2001, and end at the National Mall with a show by country star Clint Black.

Word of the event startled some observers.

"I've never heard of such a thing," said John Pike, who has been a defence analyst in Washington for 25 years and runs GlobalSecurity.org.

Rieckhoff suggested the event was an ill-conceived publicity stunt.

"I think it's clear that their public opinion polls are in the toilet," he said.

Rumsfeld's march had some relatives of September 11 victims fuming.

"How about telling Mr Rumsfeld to leave the memories of September 11 victims to the families?" said Monica Gabrielle, who lost her husband in the attacks.

cool, so iran is next then?
lurch70 said:
i still say we should send all the fucking prisoners in jail to IRAQ to fight ...
i'd agree, except probably half the people in us prisons are innocent, or at least serving an unjust sentence.

One Inch Man said:
i'd agree, except probably half the people in us prisons are innocent, or at least serving an unjust sentence.

i am talking about the gun and hummer loving ones :loco:

in that case, fuck'em. :tickled:

as always, i'd love to see the people putting other people's lives in danger with their ass on the line. i don't want some fucking politician voting to use force unless they are on the frontlines. same with anyone else, if you support this violence get your ass up and fight.

with that being said, if I was in Romania when I graduated from High School .. I would have had to serve a mandatory year in the military there ... and that year would have been when the revolution happened that overthrew the dictator ... guess who's 6'7" ass would have been shot first.
i'll be the first to admit that a puddle of piss and shit would be right under me as soon as I hear the first bullet whiz by my ears.:erk:
there was a line in that movie "Black Hawk Down" ... some soldier is talking to a rookie ... "all that training, discipline taught to you goes out the window as soon as you see bullets flying in the air and whizzing by you ... then it's just ... save your ass" ... or something like that.

lizard said:
that amber is hawt tho. if any of you loozors are in the AR area look her up:loco:

sorry I can't be sad or somber for more than five minutes at a time :tickled:

if her baby starts crying while you're "consoling" her, rub some bourbon on his gums. works like a charm.

I go through Highfill sometimes and those fat jugs seem to be calling me there right now.

<<"This year the Department of Defence will initiate an America Supports Your Freedom Walk," Rumsfeld said, adding that the march would remind people of "the sacrifices of this generation and of each previous generation".>>

Dude, that's fucked up. You officially retired the phrase War On Terror(tm) because people realized you had no real problem with extremism when it wasn't profitable, now stop shoving freedom and sacrifice down our throats at every pseudo-patriotic photo op. Holding soldiers for three tours isn't supporting anyone's freedom.

Struggle Against Extremism has a nice ring to it, because now our enemies just have to be extremists and not actual terrorists, so that's like, way more people we get to kill now.