W3RK3R
Aug 21, 2002
Oly, WA
www.itsatrap.com
(attn shameless PR ahead)

http://www.itsatrap.com/vol1/index.html

For immediate release:

Aug. 26, 2004
As proven with the North American release of KVLR's self-titled CD earlier this year, It's a trap! is not content with simply being a webzine, albeit the best damn Scandinavian music news site in the world. The time has come for the next logical step in the evolution process. And with that, I am proud to present the "It's a trap! Reader's Companion Volume One" compilation. Mp3s are good and fine for exposing people to new music, but I think a piece of plastic packaged in a fancy cardboard case works a heckuva lot better to get people's attention. Not only does this comp feature an amazing assortment of artists from all over Scandinavia, but it also spans a multitude of genres. There's sure to be a little something for everyone. Read on for yourself:

01. Peter Bjorn & John - It beats me every time | SWE
from the "Beats, traps and backgrounds" EP | Planekonomi | 2004
The intellectual Hives? Sure, why not? PB&J deliver some of the smartest power-pop around.

02. KVLR - Uncanny valley | SWE
previously unreleased!
Remember when indie-rock meant loud guitars? KVLR does. DuPont may have stolen their vowels, but they sure haven't stopped these guys from making amazing music.

03. Fun - Arizona spit trip | FIN
from the album "Szklarska poreba" | If Society | 2004
Once upon a time a label called Touch & Go used to put out nothing but classic records of a particular style. Fun continues that tradition, with gusto.

04. The Lionheart Brothers - I burn myself on you | NOR
from the "Colour contrast context" EP | ChewinPine | 2004
These Norwegians create some of the most amazingly dreamy pop music ever committed to tape. Pure epic bliss.

05. Kristofer Åström - The wild | SWE
from the album "Loupita" | Startracks | 2004
Kristofer has consistently put out great records, from his beginnings many years ago fronting the post-rock/hardcore band Fireside, up to the present with his burgeoning solo career. Features guest vocals from fellow up-and-coming Swedish singer/songwriter Britta Persson.

06. David & the Citizens - New direction | SWE
from the "New direction" EP | Adrian Recordings | 2003
Energetic power-pop with clever hooks and lyrics. Positively infectious!

07. Desert Planet - Return of the ninja droids | FIN
from the album "Turbo tellytunes" | Desertplanet.com | 2004
Nobody does 8-bit rock n' roll finer than Desert Planet. The soundtrack for the Nintendo generation.

08. WE - Catch electrique | NOR
from the album "Smugglers" | Nun Music | 2004
These dudes deliver the goods. We're talkin' 100% kick-ass boogie-woogie rock n' roll. Produced by Chris Goss (Mark Lanegan, Queens of the Stone Age, Auf der Maur).

09. José González - Crosses | SWE
from the album "Veneer" | Imperial Recordings | 2003
Finally, a singer/songwriter who honestly and truly deserves comparisons to the late, great Nick Drake. Simply brilliant.

10. Isolation Years - Sway | SWE
from the "Frosted minds" EP | NONS/MNW | 2003
Considered by many to be one of Sweden's finest bands, these lads from the far north deftly combine elements of country, folk, psych and rock. Everything they do is an instant classic.

11. Waver - You're gonna be fine | SWE
from the album "Population: fifteen" | Dead Frog Records | 2004
Sweden is well-known for its women and for good reason. Here's yet another fantastic, melancholy pop band with just a bit more of a feminine touch.

12. CDOASS - Speak to me | SWE
from the "Speak to me" 7" | Johnny Bråttom | 2004
After the release of a single on the highly respected Dolores Recordings (Nicolai Dunger, Broder Daniel, etc.) and a UK gig opening for The Hives, you'd think these guys would be on top of the world already. Red-hot punk-funk that adds the perfect dosage of tension and anxiety to keep things exciting.

13. Filled - Daylight chaser | SWE
from the "Heading for the ditch" demo | self-released | 2004
This band makes well-crafted pop seem positively effortless. A band to watch, for sure.

14. Jim Stärk - Morning song | NOR
from the "Morning songs" EP | Sweet Recordings | 2004
No, not another singer/songwriter, but rather a Norwegian band with a peculiar name and a solid groove. Dig that organ!

15. Carpet People - A road leading into the sun | SWE
from the album "More bad weather coming out of the rain" | Chalksounds | 2003
Most bands use the studio to add all sorts of superfluous sounds to create a huge, layered production. Carpet People take the opposite approach, stripping the material down to its most raw, pure form.

16. Thirdimension - Rear view mirror |SWE
from the album "Permanent holiday" | Hidden Agenda | 2004
From the same people who introduced The Soundtrack of Our Lives to US comes yet another amazing pysch-rock band. The dubbed-out vibe on this track is perfect.

17. Koma - One of us must hang | SWE
from the album "Tsunami" | Blackstarfoundation/Fullsteam Records | 2004
Dark, epic rock that's unafraid to be both heavy and melodic - A perfect closing anthem. Featuring members from Cult of Luna and The Perishers.

You want to know what the icing on the cake is? How about a $5 retail price? No joke! Nowhere else will you find such a cheap and easy way to be instantly introduced to some of the finest music the world has to offer. You can't go wrong. The official street date probably won't be until November, but direct mailorder will go out as soon as I get the CDs in stock around mid-September.

cover.jpg

IAT-002 : It's a trap! reader's companion volume 1
Release date: tbc