This punishment

the-lull

discouraged one
May 25, 2001
France
www.thelull.fr.fm
I have always found the lyrics of "This punishment" to be very special.
They sound very literary to me, resembling more to a sort of short-story than lyrics in itself. I like this manner of considering the text of a song. It can be found in another Katatonia song, "Quiet World", but it doesn't appear so much on Last Fair Deal Gone Down.
What do you think of this kind of lyrics? Do you know other metal band writing this way? I could quote Thine, but do you know any others?

what do you think of this kind of lyrics?

i love lyrics that tell a story. im not sure if you mean like literary lyrics that are reality or fantasy based? or what the criteria is that would make a song's lyrics specifically fall into the catagory that you speak of. i would say on LFDGD it happens quite a bit, like on "we must bury you," "passing bird" and "sweet nurse." but i might think like 'iron man' off black sabbath's paranoid is an example too. but i dont feel like that is what you are trying to get at...is it? it seems like you wound not consider those songs examples of what you are saying...i dont know! just ellaborate more for me if you can...(ahhhh! i need to sleep! its beyond difficult right now for me to make any sense!)

ill agree that 'this punishment' is a special song-i love it musically and lyrically. it makes me feel very, very small and uncomfortable, more so than any other track off that album... the first time i read through the lyrics while listening to that song, i just got lost looking at the picture behind the lyrics and imagined myself sitting in one of those chairs, and by the second utterance of 'punishment', the me had gotten up and crawled under that little table. i hope that doesnt sound absurd! :loco:

mmm...quite difficult to be clear when English is not your mother tongue. I'll try though...
What I'm trying to say is that the story depicted in the lyrics could be included in a novel. It doesn't really deals about emotions, feelings in a usual way.
A scene is presented with very simple words.
Maybe you don't grasp the words the same way I do...Let's explain my version.

A man (let's call him...errr..Jonas) feels like he has no friends, he prepares himself to be alone for his birthday, or something like that. He considers this situation as being a punishment.
The problem is when he comes back home, all his friends are here to be with him. This is another punishment, the fact of having thought about having no friends at all.

I find this scene very close from what should touched you in reality.
I feel I will never be able to TELL IT CLEARLY!!!!
Jonas, please, could you please intervine and clear that up for me?

A last trial: these lyrics, for me, don't seem to be written by a songwriter but by a novelist. Jonas Renkse has a real literary talent, and I feel it transpires a lot in the 2 songs I had quoted: "This Punishment" and "Quiet World". Cause this a story he depicted, not his feelings.

:mad: Thanks for trying to understand a poor french in difficulty !

ok, i understand better what your saying now. ohhh to bad you've limited it to metal bands... : (

;) ~ and your english is great! your doing better than a lot of people i know whose native language is english! if it makes you feel any better, i almost failed french in high school...sacrifiez pas les petits animaus! is that even right? who knows! haha.