This Thursday is a pretty good release day

WBS

Dec 9, 2016
Pretty excited about the releases coming out on Thursday. This guarantees a great weekend full of great music for me.

1. Steel Panther
2. Brother Firetribe
3. Eclipse
4. House of Lords
5. One Desire

Pretty solid day here.

Brand

Glenn - I listened to the new song Night Ranger released and I thought it was just okay. Night Ranger are hit and miss with me. The songs I like - I really like and the songs I don't like - I really don't like.

I will get flamed for this but honestly I would love to see Jack get the guys back together and do a Damn Yankees Album.

I liked them both for different reasons. Bleed and Scream was more of a raw rock and roll album with some killer guitar work. Armagedonize was a very polished rock album with some killer melodies. Love both albums and expecting to love this new one just as much.

Got to admit however I am most excited about One Desire.

Brand

Okay after 1st spins on all the discs here are my first impressions.

1. Eclipse - AWESOME - Immediately catchy - great production - solid songs. More like Armagedonize than Bleed & Scream - Very good.
2. One Desire - VERY GOOD - Kind of threw me. I had only heard HURT and the rest of the album is pretty varied, awesome vocals and great production - Feel like this will be a top spot as I spend more time with it.
3. Steel Panther - Good - Production is great - This time out the songs are not as dirty - almost like they are running out of things to talk about. Songs are Catchy - Vocals are good and Guitar playing is fantastic - Fun Album
4. Brother Firetribe - Fantastic - These guys don't change the formula much - Great 80's rock here with very good vocals and strong melodies. Will need to spend more time but instant like here.
5. House of Lords - Disappointed - There are a couple of good songs but very much sounded like a cruise control album. Vocals are great but the melodies are not as instant. Production is AWFUL - Vocals are way up front in the mix as is the bass but the guitars are so far down and thin that you forget this is a hard rock band.

What is everyone else thinking of these?

Brand

I will get flamed for this but honestly I would love to see Jack get the guys back together and do a Damn Yankees Album.

No flaming from me, I would enjoy that as well....

Some other releases mentioned on the ProgPower USA Facebook page similar posting: Stormhammer, Emerald, Arvas, Pallbearer, Damnations Day, Memoriam, Sloth Herder, Steve Hackett, Art of Anarchy.

Last edited:
It would probably cost too much, but I think Night Ranger at PPUSA would be pretty cool.

On the other hand, a Damn Yankees reunion would be even cooler. Lord knows Tommy Shaw isn't really doing anything significant except playing the same 10-12 Styx songs over and over and over again. I haven't seen Night Ranger or Ted Nugent recently so I can't judge whether they're doing the same thing. However, a Damn Yankees reunion would melt your face off, particularly if Uncle Teddy is on fire. I saw them live a handful of times in the early 90's, and they blew me away every time. In particular, they did a killer Milwaukee show at the height of the Gulf War (co-headlining with Bad Company), and they were about as good as any band could be. Plus, you know Teddy had a few things to say about the war and the troops--and about Saddam Huseein :)