Thoghts about Down II and B.LS. 1919 ETERNAL....

ZANEX

Alone Within My Lunacy
Sep 4, 2001
PARIS/WINCHESTER,KENTUCKY U.S.A.
Visit site
I recently purchased Down II And Black Label Society's 1919 Eternal. I really like the Down album because as Phil Anselmo said, "We went and had fun making this record and we don't have to prove anything to anybody". Each member of Down has been successful with their respective bands. I'm not sure if I like II as well as NOLA, but its pretty diverse. It sounds like Led Zeppelin/Black Sabbath/ and Bad Company all met and jammed together. There are heavy tunes (MAN THAT FOLLOWS HELL, LYSERGIK FUNERAL PROCESSION, ETC..) and more mellow ones (STAINED GLASS CROSS, LIES...,ETC..). I think i like this album for its diversity. Does anyone else like this album?

As for the Black Label, I've only listened to it 3 times and I really like the firts 3 songs (BLEED FOR ME, LORDS OF DESTRUCTION, DEMISE OF SANITY) I'll have to get used to the rest of the album more before I make a fair judgement. Anyone else like this album?

YEs, I like 1919. I dont lik ethe 1st song at all.Bleed for me......i dont know why.i just cant get into it. The rest, yep, i like.

I now have all of Zakks stuff BtW. Im not too hot on BOOK OF SHADOWS.not my style of acoustic, and they all sound a lot a like. But thats the only cd by ZAKK that i do not like.......

I like bbok of shadows ledmag, his work isnt overwhelming in this album, but it still has alot of soul one that seems lacking in many guitarists, also the album has alot of influences, i love the 70's blues, country sound. Sure it is no black label society, but it is good when not headbanging

Zakk Wylde make just old-fashioned damn-good hardrock/metal the way it was meant to be. American metal blows right now if it wasn't for Zakk and Nevermore, I'd probably move to Sweden. 1919 Rules!!!

I really like the first two BLS albums but I'm not a big fan of 1919. The first two had inventive riffs that still could groove, but this one seems like he got rid of the inventive part. I can't get into many of the songs. And some of the ones I do like seem to be too one dimensional. Like 'Life Birth Blood Doom' is cool but it just keeps repeating that chorus, I would have figured him to go somewhere else with it after a while.

Originally posted by speed
I like bbok of shadows ledmag, his work isnt overwhelming in this album, but it still has alot of soul one that seems lacking in many guitarists, also the album has alot of influences, i love the 70's blues, country sound. Sure it is no black label society, but it is good when not headbanging

I like his other acoustic stuff a lot, th ebonus cd's.

I liked BoS at first, but then the songs sort of blended together...

I LOVE 70's..Oh yes i do.....

Metal is no where near all the stuff i have and like.....

Down II is very cool. It has a progressive feel to it. Any time I listen to it I feel like I have to hear the whole thing to complete the story. Right now Im enjoying it more than NOLA. Even though there is no real "Stone The Crow II", I find there are more songs of better quality on "II" than on "NOLA". But both have their highs and lows. Reguardless, both albums rule, and I cant FN wait to see Down May 21st!

First off I love all of Zakks works, but 1919 Eternal right now is my least favorite. I still listen to it & enjoy it alot, but It doesnt seem to have the diversity of his other BLS works(Sonic Brew, Stronger Than Death, AFBL+5) After one or 2 listens to the songs, I feel as if there is nothing else left to "discover" about the song. No extra melodies, no mysterious whispered words, etc. 1919 Eternal is a great start for new potential fans of BLS. Although not my favorite, still its a good record.