"Thor Arise" demo question

Oblivious Maximus

I am the worm
Nov 5, 2003
Serving time in the middle of nowhere
Sorry if something like this has been posted here before but I'm not a regular poster in the AA fourm even though I think they rule. Anyway, I've read some reviews of the demo and from what I've read it's got a bit of a different sound than what the band would do later on. My question is, is it worth tracking down and if so, how rare is it. I'm really curious about the Black Sabbath "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" cover. One of my favorite Sabbath songs being covered by AA sounds like something I want to hear.

Checking wikipedia or MA that hard?

Get the Viking Edition of Versus the World. Has the demos, including that cover, as well as the german version of Victorious March.

Here's the Sabbath cover if you're interested:

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=g5z7QEbyfKQ[/ame]

Personally, I dig the raw sound.

I love the old sound. The demo version of Thor Arise is probably my favorite AA song of all time.

And yes, buy Versus the World. The bonus disk is full of badass tracks. Easiest way to get them all.

OK, so it's frowned upon to revive (or try to) an old topic, but I need to ask something regarding this demo.
A reply from one of the guys would be great, they are the most reliable source I guess, but maybe someone else know too.

A few months back I bought a plain white tape from a guy from the US. He claimed that it played the demo "Thor Arise".
Once I received it, I played it and it did play the mentioned demo. I compared it to the CD, and some parts were different (timing, quality).
So, it's plausible this wasn't just a ripp-off copy from the Vs. The World bonus CD...

I mailed the seller and asked if it was authentic and how he got it.
He replied with the answer that he'd been in contact with a band called SCUM (!) in the late eighties, early nineties. They send him the demo, for his fanzine "Beneath the Underground", with the message that it was highly original. Of course, SCUM later became Amon Amarth.

So, what do you guys reckon, could this be an (copy of the) original demo?

I know there is 2 different version of that song. You can check yourself: listen the one of the "Vs. The World" bonus disc and the one on "The Avenger" digipack...

OK, so it's frowned upon to revive (or try to) an old topic, but I need to ask something regarding this demo.
A reply from one of the guys would be great, they are the most reliable source I guess, but maybe someone else know too.

A few months back I bought a plain white tape from a guy from the US. He claimed that it played the demo "Thor Arise".
Once I received it, I played it and it did play the mentioned demo. I compared it to the CD, and some parts were different (timing, quality).
So, it's plausible this wasn't just a ripp-off copy from the Vs. The World bonus CD...

I mailed the seller and asked if it was authentic and how he got it.
He replied with the answer that he'd been in contact with a band called SCUM (!) in the late eighties, early nineties. They send him the demo, for his fanzine "Beneath the Underground", with the message that it was highly original. Of course, SCUM later became Amon Amarth.

So, what do you guys reckon, could this be an (copy of the) original demo?

I am sad to tell you that you've been ripped off! The demo Thor Arise was never released as a demo, only as a bonus thing on "versus the world", and most definately it was never sent or given to anyone outside the band.

I am sad to tell you that you've been ripped off! The demo Thor Arise was never released as a demo, only as a bonus thing on "versus the world", and most definately it was never sent or given to anyone outside the band.

Ah, that's too bad. Luckily I haven't paid that much for it.
Thanks for the reply by the way :)

Look here.
This is the very old AA website (not the first :p).
On "Thor Arise" demo, it says that there is a track 2 entitled "Battlecries"... What the hell is that???:yow: