Those Pesky Lists and Polls

AnvilSnake said:
Anyways, off-topic: ConsumingImpulse: Would you PLEASE change your signature... I don't like having to scroll so much down to the next post... And judas69, its too bad you feel that way. Instead you should be trying to help the situation rather than boycotting it.

Bitch, bitch , bitch, bitch , bitch

Demilich said:
To look at a "Top x guitarists" list or something of that sort and react with frustration at how the writers are somehow stupid because of their selections is ridiculous. These lists represent nothing more than the tastes of those whos opinions they represent, be they a poll of the public or a list compiled by a journalist or staff of journalists. As such, I believe they have some value. For example, if I know that I have similar tastes to those responsible for the list, I might use them to look for new artists/whatever to check out, knowing that I am likely to appreciate them because I find the source to be reputable. Conversely, if the list was created by a source I do not trust, such as Guitar World magazine, I may compare their list to what I may have selected and evaluate the tastes of those who compiled it accordingly. I will not, however, have the audacity to imply that my tastes are somehow superior to whoever wrote the list.

Exactly. Except of course I know my musical tastes are better than anyone else on this planet.

speed said:
Is there any value to those innumerable 50 best, 100-best, cornucopia of lists that has infected out society over the last couple of years? You know the lists:100 best books, 100 hottest women, 100 best metal songs as chosen by the ever-so repudable and metal VH-1 staff, 50 places you have to see before you die, 25 top movie quotes, 10 things to do in Muncie Indiana, 9 top ways to lose weight for summer without foregoing pop, pizza and pretzels, and 3 ways to acheive an orgasm type of lists.

Is there a reason why we have so many lists these days? Is it a sign the petit bourgeois masses have finally claimed ultimate victory over taste and culture? Is it but a marketing scheme to take our minds off the lists of dead in Iraq? Or perhaps, do the lists accurately objectivize music, sports plays, and the sexual attractiveness of airbrushed tarts?

And while I'm attacking lists, how about polls? Does that guy or gal who calls at 6pm every night with a promise he needs but a minute of your time, really helping society with the data he is gathering? And lets not forget polls and politics! THey go hand in hand these days. There's nothing more democratic than candidates pandering to poll opinions on such important matters as gay marriage, prayer in schools, and prescriptions for senile seniors.

Down with polls and lists I say!

Woah, someone's in a bad mood. Top 100 lists are used a lot in mainstream media now that you think about it. For example, music videos and what not. Probably because it makes it all a fun, popularity contest or just another tactic to sell you things.

But, I like polls and lists and what not if its about something that matters to me. I actually like looking through top 100 lists of metal albums from a decent source.