Thought Industry - "Short Wave on a Cold Day"

ProgMetalFan

In the attic
Jan 3, 2002
PITTSBURGH
Thought Industry started off in the early 90's as a bizarre tech-metal band incorporating diverse non-metal influences. Their sound evolved over several releases and finally culminated on this 2001 release, their swansong, as a potent blend of alt-rock, indie, prog and a certain lingering intangible metal aesthetic. "Short Wave on a Cold Day" is a lush, cerebral, and diverse offering that is now quite hard to find. Their label, Metal Blade, apparently did not know how to market music like this and promptly deleted the album from their catalogue within a year of its release. It's a tragedy, because this album should have been huge. The band is now inactive, but has left us with a legacy of challenging and forward-thinking music.

"Short Wave on a Cold Day" is an album that should appeal to a broad cross-section of music afficianados. It's firmly within the alt-rock/indie vein; but it also has a certain metal aesthetic lingering that should appeal to the more open-minded fans of that genre. I think it's in the instrumental prowess displayed on this disc.

This album has a very cohesive sound and a consistancy of material throughout. The main adjective that comes to mind is "lush". It's one of those dreamy, beautiful albums that can really take you on a journey. Each song has a hook, yet is sufficiently challenging to prevent mass accessibility. It's truly an album you can sink your teeth into, and discover new layers of aural bliss upon each listen.

The songs are deceptively complex and display an instrumental proficiency uncommon to this type of music. The vocalist has a pleasantly light voice and is not shy about using falsetto. The guitar is quite textural, the bass quite thick and expansive, the drums providing shimmering cymbalscapes, and a myriad of electronics and keyboards softening the edges and creating dense layers of cloudmusic that goes on for miles. The lyrics are some sort of esoteric poetry. I feel watery, wintry, and airy when I listen to this album. It's a musical experience like no other.

Highlights include the oceanic, frosty "Tall Ships on the Rocks"; the acoustic lament of "Lovers in Flames" and the curiously dark "Hello, Murder".

Each Thought Industry album is drastically different, but each is fantastic. I give the highest recommendation to their entire catalogue.