Thought Industry - Shortwave On A Cold Day 10

EvilVince

Satan Christ
Dec 16, 2001
Morristown, Arizona
myspace.com
Thought Industry - Shortwave On A Cold Day
10 Hexes On A Cold Day

If you're not a well-accustomed Thought Industry fan, then it's most likely you'll find this album outrageously gay. But if you love Thought Industry and their wild sense of diversity and emotional stream-of-consciousness lyrical bartending, then rejoice! Fans have waited 4 years since previous outing "Black Umbrella" in 1997, since which every band member except for leadman Brent Oberlin quit the band. Now there's all new members, new talent was enlisted, and Thought Industry is proving strong as ever. Together to hopefully put out more albums than any other band one day (Or so jokes Oberlin, in his quest in dethroning Fleetwood Mac).

Every Thought Industry album is completely different from the previous. "Shortwave On A Cold Day" sounds nothing like "Black Umbrella" just as "Black Umbrella" sounded nothing like "Outer Space Is Just A Martini Away", etc. Each album is poles apart. From the almost progressive and classic metal-like debut "Songs For Insects", to the Mr. Bungle-ish speed metal jazz insanity of "Mods Carve the Pigs: Assassins, Toads, and God's Flesh", Thought Industry continues to this day to keep it new and interesting.

Soundwise, the layers of music in each song are spectacular. With an overall tone of heaviness, the album is also completely melodic. Hummable tunes and certain passages will stick with you. It's probably only because of the overlying tone of heaviness that it could never be on the radio, probably too abstract. Too bad, this album is better than everything on the radio these days. Thought Industry is truly today's most underrated band.

New members add to the interesting new texture of the music, most notably the groovy bass played by Mark Baldwin. Thought Industry hasn't had bass this good since Brent Oberlin played it in the band. There's a bass-line throughout "Particle Hustler" that's just catchy-as-fuck! Some of the guitar sounds are out there too, gonzo and bizarre. I would consider the drums are worthy of Jared Bryant. With Brent Oberlin mainly writing and composing a bulk of the tracks, the album can't fail with his simple genius at hand. Songs written by new members also showcase their talents well, some of which are the best songs on the album.

"Shortwave On A Cold Day" was released on September 11th, 2001, the day America was attacked. It's a strange coincidence that a plane crash sound appears at the end of the album. Unwittingly symbolic, and a tad ironic. The album also begins with the national anthem. Makes me feel proud to be an American.

Check out my review and my site at -
http://www.hellacron.com/Thought_Industry_Shortwave.htm

-'Evil' Vince

Excellent review. Shortwave on a Cold Day is my first experience of Thought Industry. I think the album is outstanding, not in the least bit gay. You're right about the Bass playing too, that's what really pulled me in, the basslines are just perfect. I wonder if they would get more exposure if they left Metal Blade for a more Indie Rock label? They are sorely underrated.