Thoughts on A Dream That Cannot Be (feat. Doro)?

PowerBlade

May 31, 2009
Copenhagen, Denmark
I've never been a fan of classic metal and never even listened to Doro before, I've only heard of her by name. I'm not very excited about this song and find it - by far - the worst on the album. I just don't think her voice fits Amon Amarth at all, it's just... Off? I was wondering if I'm alone in thinking this, because I'd only seen overwhelmingly positive response to that song on AA's Facebook page.

So what do you think about this song?

Yeah it's my least favourite on the album. I don't think it worked with Hel on the last album so I'm surprised they did it again really. Oh well.

I have never liked when you mix clean and growl vocals before. But I like this song and I have never heard Doro before either.
Maybe I like it because it is a part of the whole concept of the album and I think it fits and the melody is good as well.

I found an interesting quote by Olavi from 2008, when he was interviewed about Twilight of the Thunder God:
"We are loyal to our fans and will never use a female vocalist or keyboards in our songs!"
I wonder if he still remembers :)

I think this song is okay. I really don't like "Hel" from the last album but with Doro it works far better imo.

The song is fine. It fits the album well. It is better than Hel. You'll never hear it live so don't worry about it.
If the biggest issue with Jomsviking is A Dream That Cannot Be then I think Amon Amarth can rest easily. There are few bands that can even release ten albums. There are fewer bands that can release ten really good albums. There are even fewer who's tenth album is one of their best.

This whole subject is what makes me laugh when I read reviews, etc. of Amon Amarth. I don't think I have ever seen a band who has been more criticized for being consistent. Everywhere you look all you read is "all Amon Amarth albums are the same", "you wanna hear the new Amon Amarth album? Just play the last one on shuffle", etc., etc. So, Amon Amarth adds a bit of keyboard on Surtur Rising, they do the male duet on Deceiver, they do the female duet on Jomsviking and you know what happens? Well, they get criticized for doing something different and not sounding like Amon Amarth. It truly makes me laugh.

Reactions: AndY.
I actually really liked Hel! I'm not kicking them for changing things up and putting female vocals on the song, I just don't think that Doro's voice works well. It's too rock-ish if that makes sense. If they had used someone like Floor Jansen then I could see myself enjoying the song a lot more.

I don't think I have ever seen a band who has been more criticized for being consistent. Everywhere you look all you read is "all Amon Amarth albums are the same", "you wanna hear the new Amon Amarth album? Just play the last one on shuffle", etc., etc.

AC/DC have gone through the same shitty comments and you know what: They didn't care and became the biggest band in the world that
still fills stadiums ;)

Sorry guys, wasn't trying to say anyone on this forum thought that way. I don't think the boys from Amon Amarth lose any sleep over some of the stupid comments out there. Like I wrote, I laugh at some of the irony.

@PowerBlade Sorry man, I didn't mean to take your valid point and turn it into something else. On point, I think Johan was looking for a particular type of female voice for that song. There is certainly a long list of female metal leads that he could have chosen from and I'm sure most would have made themselves available for a few days to do the song. Or, the boys were sitting around in their cabin in the woods and Doro Pesch was the first name they could think of and that was that!

Hey there,

well for me it is one of the best songs on the whole album.
I think the 2 different voices fit perfectly to the story the song tells.
I'm not into Doros other stuff but I like what she added to the song.
The intro riff is also some kind of melancholy/depressing - again for me - perfect for the story.

The only thing I don't like on the whole album is the solo of first kill... ^^