Thoughts on the band BADLANDS???

ZANEX

Alone Within My Lunacy
Sep 4, 2001
PARIS/WINCHESTER,KENTUCKY U.S.A.
Visit site
I just listened to "Voodoo Highway" and it was KICK ASS. This band consisted of Jake E.Lee-guitar, Ray Gillen-vocals, Eric singer-drums, & Greg Chaisson-bass. They reminded me of early Aerosmith/Zeppelin/Etc... and just FUCKING ROCKED. All comments welcome.

Zane_X

I just listened to "Voodoo Highway" and it was KICK ASS. This band consisted of Jake E.Lee-guitar, Ray Gillen-vocals, Eric singer-drums, & Greg Chaisson-bass. They reminded me of early Aerosmith/Zeppelin/Etc... and just FUCKING ROCKED. All comments welcome.

Zane_X

Yea, their first disc was great. Jake Shredded. Bummer that Ray isn't still alive. Great voice.

Yea, their first disc was great. Jake Shredded. Bummer that Ray isn't still alive. Great voice.

Yes, the first self titled was great and so is "Voodoo Highway". Apparently there is another release called "Dusk" that was done before Ray Gillen died and another project called SunRedSun that involved Ray Gillen, Mike Starr(AliceInChains bass player) and other dudes. I should say early Aerosmith/Sabbath/Van Halen, etc... A four piece with vocals, Bass, Drums, Guitar. Great Band.

More info for those who don't know. Sorry to clog up the board. Please don't ban me Will. (LOL)

Badlands (band)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Badlands

Country Los Angeles, California
Years active 1988 – 1992
Genres Blues
Blues rock
Blues metal
Hard rock
Classic rock
Past members Ray Gillen (deceased)
Jake E. Lee
Greg Chaisson
Eric Singer
Jeff Martin

Badlands was a short-lived rock band founded by Ozzy Osbourne guitarist Jake E. Lee and Black Sabbath members Ray Gillen and Eric Singer. Badlands also featured bassist Greg Chaisson. After the first Badlands album, Eric Singer was replaced by Jeff Martin. The group lasted from 1988 to 1992 and released two albums, Badlands (1989) and Voodoo Highway (1991) before Gillen's death in 1993 effectively ended the project. A posthumous release of the album Dusk (originally recorded in 1992-1993) was released in 1998.

Contents [hide]
1 Formation
2 Badlands
3 Voodoo Highway
4 Gillen's death
5 Trivia
6 Discography

[edit] Formation
After touring with Ozzy Osbourne in support of the Ultimate Sin album, Lee decided to leave the band and work on a new project. Wishing to distance himself as much as possible from his former boss, he set about looking for a charismatic front man with which to launch it. He found just that when he met Ray Gillen, a struggling vocalist who had just been separated from Black Sabbath after a short time. Within weeks, the duo had enlisted bassist Greg Chaisson and Gillen’s former Black Sabbath bandmate Eric Singer on drums.

[edit] Badlands
The band released Badlands in June, 1989 to good reviews. Many Ozzy Osbourne and Black Sabbath fans picked up the album to see what Lee had to offer with this new project, and were not disappointed. The band released videos for the songs "Dreams In The Dark" and the Zeppelin-like "Winter’s Call", and both enjoying decent airplay on MTV. This boosted the album to its peak on Billboard’s album charts at no. 57.

[edit] Voodoo Highway
Eric Singer soon quit to join KISS following the death of drummer Eric Carr. Badlands picked up Jeff Martin, former vocalist for Surgical Steel and Racer X to take over on drums, and the band released Voodoo Highway in 1991. However, Badlands was slowly breaking apart at the seams. During the recording process, Lee accused Gillen of conspiring with their label to push the band in a more commercial direction. This subsequently led to Gillen being fired. However, since a tour of the UK had already been booked, the vocalist was temporarily re-admitted for its completion.

[edit] Gillen's death
Main article: Ray Gillen
After the UK tour was complete, Gillen was officially fired from the band. Lee insisted to the press that the band would continue with singer John West. However, Atlantic Records had had enough and dropped the band from their label entirely. Gillen then appeared on an album by George Lynch’s band Sacred Groove. Following that, he formed Sun Red Sun with guitarist Al Romano, former Alice in Chains bassist Mike Starr, and drummer Bobby Rondinelli. But, just as the new group was off and running, Gillen was diagnosed with HIV. On December 3, 1993, he died at his New Jersey home due to AIDS-related complications. Five years later, the unreleased Badlands album Dusk was released, but did not chart.

[edit] Trivia
Greg Chaisson and Jeff Martin later played in the bands Blindside Blues Band and Red Sea.
There was also another band called Badlands with singer John Sloman, guitarist John Sykes, keyboardist Graeme Pleeth, bassist Neil Murray, and drummer John Munroe. Both bands named Badlands had former Black Sabbath members as members.
Ray Gillen from the Badlands discussed here, and John Sykes from the other Badlands briefly played together in an early version of Blue Murder.

[edit] Discography
Album Cover Date of Release Title Label US Billboard Peak US sales
June, 1989 Badlands Atlantic 57
1990 One Night in Boston Did not chart
June, 1991 Voodoo Highway Atlantic 140
December 15, 1998 Dusk Pony Canyon Did not chart

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badlands_%28band%29"

i rembmember seeing the vidos for WInters Call and Dreams in the dark on MTV back when i was 13 maybe i wanna say 1989 was the year the band came out. I wasnt really into it but there were wose videos headbanges ball played.

"God in heaven,my only friend,will ilive to see my journeys end, and the world awakens me so hard my values havent changed,i make a promise to myself NEVER AGAIN!"

I saw a video on VH1 Classic rock a few years ago and it was way better than the rest of the cheesy stuff they play on their metal show.