thrash/death gear

ziggy1706

New Metal Member
Aug 6, 2004
anyone know if the marshall jcm 2000 dsl outperforms the jcm 800? i wore an email to marshall, and they told me, the jcm 2000 dsl has more gain than the jcm 800, if i was looking for 80's metal, the jcm 800 is the ticket then. i play alot of old school death, megadedth, ect. whcih would be the best? right now, i have a marshall jcm 900 slx, pretty much the same aas trey from morbid angel, or james murphy, when he was in obituary(i spoke to him online!)
anyone have any suggestions, information, that would be cool.:)

The JCM 800 is the sound of 80's metal, the amp of choice at that time. If you're looking to get an old school death or thrash sound it sounds to me like you already have the right amp with the JCM 900.... man those are great amps, much more gain than the 800. I don't know much about the JCM 2000's but I'm guessing it's just a 900 with more bells and whistles.

Greeno said:
I don't know much about the JCM 2000's but I'm guessing it's just a 900 with more bells and whistles.

Not really.
JCM900 has diode clipping circuit for distortion, not a pure tube signal path as JCM800. OTOH, JCM2000 was created with pure tube circuit and distortion again, but offers more channels than JCM800. I'd always choose a 2000 over 900. I have a '76 master volume 2203 amp (a forefather of JCM800) which differs from JCM800 only in lack of effects loop (which I don't need anyway) but sounds great, if I want more distorted sounds then I plug my ShredMaster stompbox in its Low input.

IIRC, Murphy talked on his forum about always using a Tube Screamer for his solos.

Go and play through one in a shop, see if you like it. Amps and guitars are like hair metal.... everyone has different opinion on them. :lol: I have a 50 watt JCM 800 half stack but prefer my little Crate Vintage Club 30, you can get many more sounds out of that amp than the 800.

Guys I hate to be biased, here, but the PEAVEY 5150 has just about any distorted tone you're looking for....and I'm just talking about the combo. It also has enough volume to make you wetter than a truckload of fat women on their way to see Ricky Martin.

tedvanfrehley said:
Guys I hate to be biased, here, but the PEAVEY 5150 has just about any distorted tone you're looking for....

:lol:
Ted you are Van Halen to the bone my man!! :)

[thanks fo rthe info man! about he jcm line of amps. so you think the jcm 2000 dsl will be a modern version of the jcm 800? thier raelly arnt any around here. ive played 2 jcm 800's in my time, and they looked like beaten barfed on crap. on was a 50 watt head, and the other was a 50 watt combo. they both sounded like crap. the head had a burning smell coming out of it. think the jcm 800 would still be better htough, than the jcm 200 dsl? thanks man

ziggy1706 said:
so you think the jcm 2000 dsl will be a modern version of the jcm 800?

I don't know if that's the right way of saying it. Like I said, I don't know much about the JCM 2000's but I'm sure they have much more gain than the 800's. The 800's are great rock n roll amps but you may need a stompbox or 2 to get a really heavy sound out of it.