Thrash Legends

Well, I was 1 year old in 1986 and I'm just now seriously getting into old-school thrash. Denying the sheer fucking quality of albums like "Reign In Blood", "The New Order", "Darkness Descends", "Endless Pain" or "Master Of Puppets" is just silly.

Hey leave Dawn Patrol alone!!! That was the first song I ever learned on bass!!! :D

I do agree that Reign in Blood and Master of Puppets are overrated (not even my favorite records by the respective bands), but they are still pretty good, especially for the time as mentioned above.

Well, I was 13, 14 at the time and was completely immersed. Reign In Blood is still a classic to this day. Puppets is fucking Puppets, and I can sum it all up in two words, Cliff Burton.

Anthrax' "Among The Living" reigns to this fucking day. Megadeth "Wake Up Dead," "Holy Wars," "The Conjuring."

Jesus Christ, Dreamlord don't make me pimpslap you... :tickled:

Dreamlord said:
"Dawn Patrol" was good?

As a preface to "Rust in Peace....Polaris", it works perfectly. Dave Mustaine snarls his way through the track...

"Awakened in the morning,
To more air pollution warnings,
Still we sleepwalk off to work,
While our ne - ne - ne - nervous systems jerk"

Just classic man. Fucking classic.

Papa Josh said:
Puppets is fucking Puppets, and I can sum it all up in two words, Cliff Burton.

Is there an instrumental that matches the brilliance and intellect of "Orion", even today?

And for Cliff Burton to write the structures and harmonies to that track (as he did for "To Live is to Die" on Justice), truly seals his talent as a musician, let alone bass player.

I'm a little late on this thread. Eveyone has listed alot of great stuff here, so I'll try to stick with someone who hasn't been mentioned, but for some reason is the only thing I can think of right now when it comes to good old thrash...

DESTRUCTION!

I fucking worship these guys...

I can never trust the virgin preacher
I can never believe in Jesus Christ
It´s all right ´coz Satan is my teacher
people hidden them when we arised

headbob.gif

Man, I couldn't quite get into Destruction, for whatever reason. And I do have 'Release From Agony,' their alleged classic. They were one of the few bands from that era that didn't give me wood.

markgugs said:
Man, I couldn't quite get into Destruction, for whatever reason. And I do have 'Release From Agony,' their alleged classic. They were one of the few bands from that era that didn't give me wood.

Well someone has fed you wrong information. Release is alright, but not one of their classics in my book. Try Sentence of Death/Infernal Overkill (first album and ep, they should be on one disc), or the last two, All Hell Breaks Loose or The Antichrist.

At least in Europe there's a release available with two jewelcases in one slipcase: disc one contains "Sentence Of Death/Infernal Overkill" and disc two "Eternal Devastation/Mad Butcher". That's two CD's with four releases for the price of one album. Good deal if you find that release. There is another one which is the same but with Sodom.

I've just got to say, Sepultura's Roots is astonishing. I think it's much better than Chaos AD.

Can't wait for Roorback, and I hope they tour again to support it.

JayKeeley said:
I've just got to say, Sepultura's Roots is astonishing. I think it's much better than Chaos AD.
BLASPHEMY!!! :D Roots is awesome, but not much can touch Chaos AD, Sepultura or other.

phyre said:
OMG LOL WTF. Sepultura's best was obviously "Bestial Devastation".

ANTICHRIST!
ANTICHRIST!
ANTICHRIST!
ANTICHRIST!

Wait a minute, I just said that Roots was better than Chaos AD. I never said it was their best!

I just assumed that everyone would understand that their best is Beneath the Remains. You know it is.

It's always a toss up between Chaos AD and Arise for me, but I love all of them. Except the first two, haven't heard either. *runs*

My momma doesn't like Sepultura, she thinks cookie monster vocals are funny. :p

NAD said:
It's always a toss up between Chaos AD and Arise for me, but I love all of them. Except the first two, haven't heard either. *runs*

I bought my entire collection of Sepultura on eBay. Aside from the Tribus Australia EP, I think I have everything of theirs (except Roorback - waiting for The End to restock).

Here's my main difference between all the stuff post Arise. They started concentrating on their hardcore thrash chords and tribal drumming, and less focused on the speed metal technicality. To be perfectly honest, I think Andreas Kisser is being wasted on such 'simplistic' music nowaday, considering the stuff he did in the early days (probably including Pestilence years).

My momma doesn't like Sepultura, she thinks cookie monster vocals are funny.

I did teach my momma how to do Dio devil hands I did. She's got no clue, hehehe.:loco: