Thrash Legends

Sepultura, Megadeth, and Slayer were my favorites growing up.

Sepultura's Arise is my favorite thrash album of all time. I'll bet JayKeeley is pissed that I mentioned that one before him. :p

NAD said:
Sepultura, Megadeth, and Slayer were my favorites growing up.

Sepultura's Arise is my favorite thrash album of all time. I'll bet JayKeeley is pissed that I mentioned that one before him. :p

HAaha, that is a great album. I prefer Beneath the Remains, just cuz it was my first with them. I would have to add Flotsam and Jetsam to the list of course.

Shit, I almost forgot STORMTROOPERS OF DEATH!!! If you would consider them thrash anyhow. :) Anthrax too, but I was never as into them as other groups.

Arise was my first Sepultura, I think it may have been my first extreme metal CD as well.

haha now your talkin.
  • Megadeth - RIP
  • Annihilator - Alice In Hell
  • Sepultura - Arise - Chaos AD
  • Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
  • Kreator - Just discovered them but they are awesome

Reactions: Lutz
Yes I know, read it and looking forward. I wonder if he will do something completely different cause it'll be under his name and not Megadeth, it'll give him the freedom to go a completely different direction from megadeth

P.S. RIP was actually Rust In Peace ;)

Alright alright, I need a piece of this thrash/speedmetal action. Heed my calling muthafukkas (and I'll avoid the obvious Metallica and Slayer references).

Megadeth - RIP (yeah Peace Sells rules, and you can smell the heroin needles on So Far So Good So What, but Rust in Peace is the pinnacle of speed metal, and we all know it is, no denying it).

Suicidal Tendencies - Lights Camera Revolution (no thrash album has bass playing like this one. Who's he playing for now? hehe). Oh and Rocky George is the best fat guitarist ever.

Kreator - Violent Revolution (yep I think it's their best, better than Extreme Aggression)

Testament - Practice What You Preach (because I don't think Skolnick and Billy ever sounded better - and yes, I think The Ballad is INCREDIBLE. That guitar humbucker tone is untouchable).

And of course.....*drum roll*...the greatest THRASH album of all time is.....

SEPULTURA - ARISE - come on, Arise? Desperate Cry? Dead FUCKING Embryonic Cells?

NAD stole my thunder!! :lol:

Is there a better thrash song than Dead Embryonic Cells - other than Angel of Death perhaps?

And total respect due towards:

SEPULTURA - BENEATH THE REMAINS
Just because it too was my first Sepultura album, and blew my mind away like nothing else at the time...yep, even surpassing anything by Slayer.

My personal favourites:

Anthrax - Fistful of Metal & Among The Living
Slayer - '83 - '91
Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare

:)

The best, and I limit my "best" to pre-1991, since thrash metal as we know changed irrevocably after that:

Testament - The Legacy
Testament - The New Order
Testament - Practice What You Preach
Exodus - Bonded By Blood
Exodus - Fabulous Disaster
Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
Megadeth - So Far, So Good, So What?
Metallica - Kill 'Em All
Metallica - Ride The Lightning
Metallica - Master Of Puppets
Anthrax - Spreading The Disease
Anthrax - Among The Living
Anthrax - State Of Euphoria
Sepultura - Beneath The Remains
Sepultura - Arise
Overkill - Under The Influence
Overkill - The Years Of Decay

There are more I'm sure, but I don't know them well enough...yet...Muwahahahahahaa

Interesting thread though...feeds right smack into a special feature that will be coming soon...stay tuned!

Thrash is one genre that I never could get into. The big four never really appealed to me.

Of course, everyone will always point to Metallica's first few albums, but I find them incredibly boring after about song 4, especially ...And Justice for All.

Megadeth was OK, but nothing special. Each album had some great songs, but never a consistently good album.

Anthrax blows, has always blown, and will always blow.

I can appreciate some of Slayer's stuff, but Reign in Blood has got to one of the most overrated albums next to Master of Puppets.

Pantera sucks, and is fronted by one of the most egotistical druggies in metal.

Sepultura's 'Arise' was pretty good, I guess.

I've never heard Voivod or Testament, so I can't comment.

I know this will probably get some of y'alls blood pumping, but oh well, it's where I stand.

Dreamlord said:
Thrash is one genre that I never could get into. The big four never really appealed to me.

Of course, everyone will always point to Metallica's first few albums, but I find them incredibly boring after about song 4, especially ...And Justice for All.

I think with most thrash, it's all about the timeframe. I mean, who else was doing stuff like Ride The Lightning in 1984?

Megadeth was OK, but nothing special. Each album had some great songs, but never a consistently good album.

RIP was good throughout. So Far So Good So What had 502 - I guess that might have been a weaker song...

Anthrax blows, has always blown, and will always blow.

Persistence of Time is really, really good.

I can appreciate some of Slayer's stuff, but Reign in Blood has got to one of the most overrated albums next to Master of Puppets.

Again it's the timeframe. You have to compare them to what else was out at the time. What were you listening to in 1986?

Pantera sucks, and is fronted by one of the most egotistical druggies in metal.

Don't know enough about them. Were they even thrash?

Sepultura's 'Arise' was pretty good, I guess.

Not 'pretty good' - it's a work of art. It destroys thrash of old, and new.

I've never heard Voivod or Testament, so I can't comment.

You probably won't like them either.

I know this will probably get some of y'alls blood pumping, but oh well, it's where I stand.

Nah - to each their own. But it's interesting to see the differences of opinion based on age differences. For me, to be young and impressionable at the age of 16 in 1986 says it all. :lol: I dunno - I guess if I was 10 years younger, I might think of these albums as being dated when comparing to stuff like At The Gates or The Haunted etc.

Otherwise, I think it says something when people, who were too young to be blown away when all these albums first came out, can still appreciate it. Timeless music. Attitude of the times et al.

I guess it's looking at the roots of where things developed.