THRASH: Splawn Quickrod Gear 1 ryth and Gear 2 solo

thefyn

Jun 3, 2006
Some standard tuned thrash of an in progress track for my Automaton album.

EDIT: Tweaked the vocals a bit and mixed it up a little.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8541677

I do need to lower the ryth under the solos or under certain points to level it out a bit. But any other opinions would be welcome on what to do mix wise.

Nothing I didn't say in the last topic that I wouldn't say now to be honest.
Lead tone is nice though.

However, these vocals are so unbearably silly that I cannot even bring myself to make any CONSTRUCTIVE criticism about them.
Sorry bro D:

Nothing I didn't say in the last topic that I wouldn't say now to be honest.
Lead tone is nice though.

However, these vocals are so unbearably silly that I cannot even bring myself to make any CONSTRUCTIVE criticism about them.
Sorry bro D:

The vocals are about a henpecked husband that has epic dreams. There is a clip at the end, his wife waking him up.

He didn't headbutt the sun, turn on the moon and gods turning the earth into a green meteorite.

He just had to get up for work and carry on with his tiny little life.:erk:

None of my lyrics are about epic dragons etc. Most of it is about time. And how we have very little.

Did you not like the distortion on the voice? I may have gone overboard with that. But I want the disconnect from reality.

Nah, that's the main thing. It wasn't the lyrics (although I couldn't really make them out, although the way you phrased them like a word on the downbeat once a bar was a bit :erk:) it was the delivery that really bothered me.
Covering badly done screams with distortion will not fix the problem, it will make you sound like a guy who can't scream who covered his vox with distortion.

Nah, that's the main thing. It wasn't the lyrics (although I couldn't really make them out, although the way you phrased them like a word on the downbeat once a bar was a bit :erk:) it was the delivery that really bothered me.
Covering badly done screams with distortion will not fix the problem, it will make you sound like a guy who can't scream who covered his vox with distortion.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=862889&songID=7712427

Is my more restrained vox. With some gothy moments.

I don't like controlled "pro" screams. I like screaming and shredding vocal cords. More on the crossover side than the inward breathing carefully controlled stuff.

On the downbeat? I have to play and sing this stuff at the same time.

fuck inward screams
but this isnt screaming and shredding vocal chords, it just sounds constipated
and as much as i hate his fucking gutts, matt heafy manages just fine with playng and screaming/singing all at once.
write it to the best of your potential, if you cant scream it and play it all at once practice until you can. no 2 ways about it

checking out this new clip though
sounds MUCH better without that vocal distortion. this actually sounds like your intended style, much better indeed man. nice clean singing too.

Nice lead tone.

THanks man. It is a Kramer I put together using a Pacer Neck, NOS Pacer body (which I had routed for 2 humbuckers) and a Floyd Rose II.

I'm thinking of getting a Floyd Rose Pro for it with a brass block because it does not sustain very well. Really quick though!

It was on the neck pup, an EMG 85.

fuck inward screams
but this isnt screaming and shredding vocal chords, it just sounds constipated.

I think being picky about a primal scream is kinda redundant.

Screams are not supposed to sound good IMO. They are supposed to make you take a step back from whoever is screaming.

It is all about uncontrolled aggression. Practicing screaming is like practicing smashing your gear up live to look cool.

Funny story, Beck did that to his bass guitar and he ended up going to hospital because it sprung back and gouged him. Honestly..how contrived is that? Practicing smashing up your gear. haha.

You are right about my regular style of vocals. I am not an extreme vocalist for 90% of my stuff. But when I do scream, it is legit/honest and i don't want to practice something chaotic to be honest. As long as I can move the scream in pitch to where I want at full pelt then I have achieved what I wanted to do yaknow?

my point was it just didn't sound all that chaotic and primal. it actually sounds fairly controlled.