J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
Throne of Katarsis – An Eternal Dark Horizon
Candlelight USA – CDL337 – April 3, 2007
By Wayward_Son

throne_of_katarsis.jpg

Another day, another black metal band. Throne of Katarsis is yet another in an infinite horde of current black metal bands trying their damnedest to keep the spirit of the early 1990’s Norwegian black metal revolution alive and kicking with another album chock full of Darkthrone, Mayhem, and Immortal riffs.

This writer is quite baffled as to the reasons why any metal label would sign a band like Throne of Katarsis. This Norwegian unit is hardly untalented in the ways of black metal, but they are so nondescript and unoriginal that it begs the question – who would honestly purchase An Eternal Dark Horizon? Especially when you, Faithful Reader, can just as easily support bands like Immortal, Darkthrone, and Emperor or just throw on Pure Holocaust, A Blaze in the Northern Sky, or In the Nightside Eclipse.

Like this writer said, Throne of Katarsis is not without merit. The five songs, clocking in at around ten to twelve minutes, do have some interesting moments. Opener ’Funeral Moonlight’ (can this band be any more clichéd?) offers a great combination of various riffs, including acoustics, and the vocals compliment the song well, but as soon as it is over, it was as if it was never played for these ears. In other words, the music will only serve as a passing interest for the listener.

This writer is sure An Eternal Dark Horizon will serve some purpose. Perhaps a newcomer to black metal will stumble across the black and white cover with a band member holding a scythe whilst yelling about something really evil or cold, surrounded by a blurry forest. Said newcomer might then like what he hears and search out the classics. Of course, the motives of record labels are hardly that noble.

To sum this review up, Faithful Reader, An Eternal Dark Horizon is immediately forgettable and better left alone.

Official Throne of Katarsis Website
Official Candlelight USA Records Website

I find the third person references as pretentious as fuck, but I am forced to concur with the assessment of this release. I've reached the point where buzzy, droning black metal doesn't excite me at all any more...:Smug:

I've given this album a spin and I can agree its nothing spectacular and certainly nothing original - but its a fairly good album that has some potential. The songs are obviously longer but at those lengths, they didn't really do much keep my interest and dragged on a bit. 7/10 at best.