Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Thrones – Day Late, Dollar Short
Southern Lord Recordings – sunn39 – 2005
By Jason Jordan

sunn39clr.jpg

19 Observations for 19 Tracks

1. Hmm. Joe Preston’s solo stuff, huh?

2. Oh yeah, that’s the dude that used to be in Melvins and Earth, recorded some stuff with SunnO))), and is now in High on Fire!

3. Man, these first few tracks are weird and incredibly different from one another.

4. Some music from 7” records along with covers of Residents, Rush, and Blue Oyster Cult. Well, that explains all the shifts.

5. Wow. Thrones has nice art direction.

6. That’s a cool lookin’ rabbit in the liner notes. I used to have a rabbit. In order to be as unoriginal and uncreative as possible, my brother and I named him “Thumper.”

7. After reading the CD inlay, it seems like Preston can be a pretty funny guy. “My second favorite Blue Oyster Cult song [“Black Blade”]. No sense in fucking up my favorite one.” Ha!

8. I wish I were more versed in the bands that Preston’s been a part of. Am I ill equipped or simply uninitiated?

9. Wow. I love the sick, wavy keyboards in “Reddleman,” and the driving nature of “Senex.” What in the hell do those names mean anyway?

10. Some of this material is previously unreleased. That alone should be enough to score some cash!

11. Hey, I like “Senex” a whole lot!

12. The font that was used on Day Late, Dollar Short is difficult to decipher, especially considering that a chunk of the song titles are nonsensical.

13. “Goal Sack”? What? Ohhhh, “Coal Sack.”

14. Preston touches on innumerable styles through this record: metal, rock, stoner, doom, electronica, etc.

15. “Davids Lib” has a cool, deranged circus vibe about it. “A Quick One” is as quirky as it is liberating.

16. I’ll have to pick up some of this guy’s other stuff.

17. 7/10

18. Official Thrones Website

19. Official Southern Lord Recordings Website

A lot of bands and artists say they don't "have any boundaries" or "have no allegiance to a scene" but most of the time, it's all hot air. Not with this guy, though...he sounds totally free of any restriction. This is one of the most creative records I've heard this year. Not all of it works, but it's cool to see such a quirky and interesting artist lay down whatever he feels like :loco:

Interesting selection of covers...oldschool Rush, obscure Blue Oyster Cult, the Residents, Ultravox...