Epic Hike Was Epic: #1

Shpongled

Aug 30, 2001
I'm planning to hike a bunch this spring and summer, so I'm going to keep track of all of them and see if I can't tally up how many miles and feet in elevation I do for the year. This technically isn't the first hike I've done this year, but the first was more of a romp through the woods on unknown trails with no real destination in mind. I'm not sure how far I walked and there's no way to tell, so I'm just not going to count it. This will be my first.

Goal: West Tiger Summit viewpoint via Preston Trail
Distance: 7.6 miles round trip
Elevation gain: 2,500 feet

Trailhead:

prestontrail01.jpg

The trail beyond this sign is short and comes to a rarely used utility service road fill with ankle breaking jagged rocks. This was trekked maybe 20 minutes and then the trail resumed. It was a good day for trucking up a mountain.

prestontrail02-1.jpg

prestontrail03.jpg

prestontrail003.jpg

This crazy mushroom looked more like a rock.

prestontrail04.jpg

I'm holding the camera level. It doesn't look very threatening in the photo, but from this point on (maybe a mile and a half into the hike) this is pretty much what it was like.

prestontrail05.jpg

Eventually we reached a little bit of snow. It never got too bad.

prestontrail07.jpg

At this point I put my camera away and just finished off the hike.

prestontrail10veiwpoint.jpg

Looking southwest, towards Tacoma.

prestontrail08.jpg

Looking northwest. You can see Bellevue closer in the foreground and Seattle farther in the background.

prestontrail09.jpg

For some reason I didn't take a picture of the whole Hikers Hut, but it was unremarkable. Just a big rusted metal hut that looked mostly like this.

prestontrail11.jpg

Broke out the zoom lens for this one. I love how you can see the foothills of the Olympics mountains in the background, covered in rain clouds. From the ground in Seattle, the Olympics look tiny.

prestontrail13.jpg

prestontrail12.jpg

Oh and also... behind us the whole time at the summit, looming with it's head in the clouds watching over everything... good ol Mt. Rainier.

prestontrail14.jpg

Ate a turkey a sammich, puffed one for the Gods, and head back down the same way.

Epic hike was epic.

Awesome pictures Kevin. A sidenote, you do know you can get away the blue shade in distances, right? Not sure if it bothers you, but if it does you can easily get a tiny UV-filter to put on the lens.

Awesome pictures Kevin. A sidenote, you do know you can get away the blue shade in distances, right? Not sure if it bothers you, but if it does you can easily get a tiny UV-filter to put on the lens.
Yeah, I have some filters but they won't fit on my camera. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, I don't know but I can't figure it out haha. It's not a huge concern yet as I'm still only cracking the surface on what can be done with this camera :)

Karen: Thanks! It's awesome having places like this so close to the city. It was literally less than a 30 minute drive from downtown Seattle to get there. :headbang:

Yeah, I have some filters but they won't fit on my camera. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, I don't know but I can't figure it out haha. It's not a huge concern yet as I'm still only cracking the surface on what can be done with this camera :)

Karen: Thanks! It's awesome having places like this so close to the city. It was literally less than a 30 minute drive from downtown Seattle to get there. :headbang:

The filters I mean are the flat round ones that basically just are screwed on the end of your lens.. if they don't fit, it would mean they're different sizes... eg. 52 or 72 mm etc.

The filters I mean are the flat round ones that basically just are screwed on the end of your lens.. if they don't fit, it would mean they're different sizes... eg. 52 or 72 mm etc.
Yeah that's what I'm talking about. They aren't compatible with any of my lenses :(

Cool, I'd like to go to Washington state sometime..

A few of mine,
l068.jpg

Iceland, The glacial region of the south. And from the same trip

l067.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

Norway, deep in Sognefjord

sl-t-lon059.jpg

Slovenia, Lake and castle Bled

I'm also planning to go hiking this summer in Iceland. A volcanic fissure has erupted in one of the most popular hiking trails(in between two glaciers), so maybe I'll go see that...(you're allowed to)

Pics from today or yesterday:
525904.jpg

525956.jpg

If you want to see a video of it: http://http.ruv.straumar.is/static.ruv.is/vefur/24032010_gosmyndir.wmv The lava flows down 200 meters to form a water..fire-fall

I have promised Kevin that if he is mauled by a bear on his camping trip this weekend, I will eat a bear burger in his honor.

MARK MY WORDS