My big picture thread.

Reminiscence

Oblique and Nebulous
Nov 1, 2005
Lakewood, CO
Yeah, so I got back a couple days ago from hiking the Long Trail, a 275 mile hiking route from the border of Massachusetts, through all of Vermont, to the Canadian border. I am 20 years old and the fine people of Vermont served me alcohol many times, I got dozens of rides hitch-hiking, and got a bit of free bud and free drinks as well. We like to call this phenomenon "trail magic". Vermont rules. Here are some pictures from my journey, and I will explain them.

Here is a very common sight in the first portion: Beaver Ponds!

Picture010firstbeaverpond.jpg

A bridge early on in the hike. We camped near bridges often because obviously they are near water.

Picture013earlybridge.jpg

A random view early on.

Picture014earlyview.jpg

A picture of the actual trail early on.

Picture015earlytrail.jpg

Here is what a typical camp of ours looked like.

Picture024typicalstealthcamp.jpg

The first major pond, Stratton Pond. Beautiful swimming opportunities and we met an AT through-hiker here who was doing the entire trail barefoot. What a nut.

Picture034StrattonPond.jpg

Here is the first rain of any type we got, almost a week into our hike. It is a view of the town of Manchester.

Picture038Manchester.jpg

The first hitch is always fun. Here we are going to Manchester on the back of a truck.

Picture042firsthitch.jpg

Best night on the trail right here, staying at a ski warming hut on the summit of Bromley. This place may as well have been dropped from the heavens because it was windy, rainy, and cold on top of Bromley. Having beer and wine and a couple great companions made it a wonderful time.

Picture046bromleywarminghut.jpg

Trail so boggy that boards needed to be put down.

Picture050boggytrail.jpg

The first really open summit was Baker Peak. Here is the magnificent view from it.

Picture062BakerPeak.jpg

Another knarly pond.

Picture074LittleRockPond.jpg

This was amazing. On the top of a forested peak we encountered these rock gardens. I wonder who creates these.

Picture089rockgardens.jpg

<3 Stinging Nettle

Picture103stingingnettle.jpg

A heavenly swimming hole, Clarendon Gorge.

Picture107ClarendonGorge.jpg

Some gr1m woods.

Picture115grimwoods.jpg

Summitting Killington, the trail was quite otherworldly.

Picture125trailnearKillington.jpg

This is an ethnic festival in Rutland. These crazy fuckers are the Twelve Tribes, a worldwide cult. Within ten minutes, 8 of them or so approached us, asking us to stay at their hostel. They were all creepy as hell. The fact that their eyes were all glazed did not help them much, even though they don't do drugs or alcohol or anything.

Picture138TwelveTribes.jpg

Just hitched back from Rutland and the storms came in.

Picture140evilskies.jpg

This is the view from the Cliffs of Horrid.

Picture148CliffsofHorridview.jpg

This is myself on the Cliffs.

Picture151myselfCliffsofHorrid.jpg

A random trail shot.

Picture153randomtrail.jpg

Sweet reflection at Lake Pleiad, where we camped.

Picture160PLeiadreflection.jpg

The otherworldy summit of Mt. Abraham, which supports arctic-alpine vegetation.

Picture177AbrahamSummit.jpg

Another warming hut, but this time we had to share it with some punk ass high school kids. The goof there is my hiking partner Erik. We were about to go smoke some free weed.

Picture183StarksNest.jpg

It is good to know the ski lift workers care for their work.

Picture186MadReefer.jpg

You've seen the picture of my feet? This type of walking does not support pretty feet.

Picture193rootytrail.jpg

Inside my tent.

Picture195insidetent.jpg

A pretty hill.

Picture202prettyhill.jpg

Camel's Hump, seen from a distance. It is the highest undeveloped peak in Vermont and begins to beckon from quite afar.

Picture204CamelsHump.jpg

Getting closer.

Picture205thehump.jpg

And here is the view from the top.

Picture209viewfromhump.jpg

Here it is seen from the opposite side.

Picture214humpfromotherside.jpg

My hiking partner Erik, on the climb up Mt. Mansfield, the highest peak in Vermont at 4,400 ft. Yes, it is a baby compared to the west.

Picture252ErikMansfieldclimb.jpg

It is still a barren place up there nonetheless.

Picture263Mansfieldsummit.jpg

A view from Mansfield.

Picture264MAnsfieldview.jpg

Another random trail shot.

Picture274trail.jpg

Sterling Pond on a cold, foggy morning.

Picture277SterlingPond.jpg

Distant ski trails.

Picture281skitrails.jpg

This is the pack of Snowman, a hiker who was on his 8th through-hike of the trail.

Picture284SnowmansPack.jpg

The Lamoille River marks 50 miles left to walk.

Picture294Lamoille.jpg

Myself looking from Laraway Lookout.

Picture306larawaylookout.jpg

Inside a "Camp" shelter. We stayed in this one because it was so nice (no signs of rodents, level bunks).

Picture307CorlissCamp.jpg

A picture of Devil's Gulch, a boulder and fern filled ravine.

Picture316DevilsGulch.jpg

Some grim clouds.

Picture323grimclouds.jpg

Our last day of hiking and our last big peak, Jay Peak. Here is the view from it.

Picture333viewfromJay.jpg

A picture from lower on Jay's slope.

Picture341onJayslope.jpg

This marker marks the Canadian border and the end of the LT. A truely heavenly sight.

Picture351heaven.jpg

The trail comes out of this dark passage into the celestial clearing.

Picture365darktunnel.jpg

Myself at Journey's End.

Picture356journeysendwithpack.jpg

And here is a video I took of Journey's End. The place is forever in my heart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TiW0eXxDNk

I hope you have enjoyed viewing my pictures of the first of many long journeys for me.

Good shit dude, good shit. I'd love to do something like that someday. That's a serious journey. Congrats on making it the whole way and awesome pictures, too!

Awesome! Congrats to you for accomplishing that. Now you're making me anxious for the fall.

Did you encounter any animals? Bears, deer, moose, etc?

Hiking is waaaay funner when you're stoned!

Conquer All said:
what was the worst part of the trip?

I would have to say...

One of my resupply packages did not fully make it to its destination, but instead was held at the post office of a town about 9 miles away. So we hitched into town and got my package, but hitching out was hard as hell. It was a ski resort town so a bunch of rich pricks live there. It was amusing seeing the looks on their faces, which could be read as, "There are people like THAT in our town!?". So it was a hard hitch back. But when we did make it back to the trail, it was dark and it started pooring. So we immediatly set up camp in a picnic area. Come 10:30 or so, some punk ass ranger comes by and kicks us out, even though we are soaked and freezing, not to mention how much hell it would be to pack up wet gear and then unpack it again. Still, he would not pity us. "Not acceptable, guys," was his nasily response. So, packing and then unpacking soaking wet gear on a rainy, misty night, and then hiking up the trail a few hundred feet away from the picnic area was the worst part. It was impossible to go any further. Our headlamps could not penetrate the fog and the trail was made of treacherous rocks.

As for animals, in New England most of the big stuff avoids you at all costs unless it's the rut season for moose. We saw a couple moose but they ran away as soon as we could glimpse them. There were lots of interesting birds, and I think a deer ran through our camp the second night out. So no, we did not see much of anything.

A Trace Of Blood said:
I would have to say...

One of my resupply packages did not fully make it to its destination, but instead was held at the post office of a town about 9 miles away. So we hitched into town and got my package, but hitching out was hard as hell. It was a ski resort town so a bunch of rich pricks live there. It was amusing seeing the looks on their faces, which could be read as, "There are people like THAT in our town!?". So it was a hard hitch back. But when we did make it back to the trail, it was dark and it started pooring. So we immediatly set up camp in a picnic area. Come 10:30 or so, some punk ass ranger comes by and kicks us out, even though we are soaked and freezing, not to mention how much hell it would be to pack up wet gear and then unpack it again. Still, he would not pity us. "Not acceptable, guys," was his nasily response. So, packing and then unpacking soaking wet gear on a rainy, misty night, and then hiking up the trail a few hundred feet away from the picnic area was the worst part. It was impossible to go any further. Our headlamps could not penetrate the fog and the trail was made of treacherous rocks.

As for animals, in New England most of the big stuff avoids you at all costs unless it's the rut season for moose. We saw a couple moose but they ran away as soon as we could glimpse them. There were lots of interesting birds, and I think a deer ran through our camp the second night out. So no, we did not see much of anything.
being rich is a curse most of the time, and im pretty sure you can now back that up with the pricks at the resort. people label me as 'rich' only because i live in a gated community and i fucking hate it. as long as i got my music, guitar and computer im good.

A Trace Of Blood said:

Lucky for you it wasn't the rut. Trust me, it's not fun being chased by a 2000lb animal with huge antlers. Makes a good story, though.

best thread on UM ever. thanks for linking that one, lizard. i'll be doing this within the next four years when I go to Green Mountain College (departing: 10 days).