Attention hiking/outdoorsful types

Lunar Still

Doodle drawrer
Jan 14, 2006
Louisville
russelljackson.bigcartel.com
I know there are at least a few of you out there, right? I've started going on short hikes at a nearby state park (short meaning, the longest trail there is about 3 miles), and I'd like to start making this into a hobby, and going on longer sojourns. So, I figure the best place to start is with the most essential tool to any hike: the feet! I'd like to know, what kind of hiking boots/shoes have you guys found to be, in your opinion, the best to take you out on the trails?

Russel, awesome!!

I have a pair of Garmont shoes that I love. water proof, but breathable, and tough sole.. .I love 'em.
I would recomand something light, but strong... it all depends on the kind of hiking you do and what conditions realy...

You just reminded me though, that I havn't hiked in a long time :(

Russel, awesome!!

I have a pair of Garmont shoes that I love. water proof, but breathable, and tough sole.. .I love 'em.
I would recomand something light, but strong... it all depends on the kind of hiking you do and what conditions realy...

Russel, awesome!!

Yeah, I figured I might be asking a fairly vague question. Right now, I'm hiking through what Indiana used to be before 2/3 of it was converted to farmland: pure North American forest. I've got a ton of pictures I've taken of the area that have only to be resized, I'll post them here. :)

Bare feet, that way I can use my finger toes to really grab onto things and keep my footing.

...just kidding. >_>

My Dr. Martens hiking boots work fine.

869921a43.jpg

Yeah, any shoe that is durable and comfortable will do for an avarage hiking day. For now I'd just say go to an outdoor store, and find something relatively cheap but comfortable and see from there.
soon enough you'll see what the shoe you have is missing, so you'll upgrade.
If your hiking is getting serious, then you'll definitely need a good solid and serious kind of shoe.
There are three things that I never compromised on when I used to go on days of camping and hiking: shoes, back pack, and a sleeping bag. one of those 3, when chose poorly, can ruin a whole trip.

These pics were all taken on January 28 at Charlestown State Park, Indiana.

The beginning of my favorite trail, Trail 3. The first part of the trail lets you see firsthand the long and bizarre history of this part of the park, as back in the '20s this gravel road led to an amusement park that was destroyed by the flood of 1937. The road is one of the few remaining traces of the park.
HPIM0094.jpg

HPIM0099.jpg

Down below just through the trees, you can see Fourteen Mile Creek, one of the oldest unglaciated streams in the state. I find it fascinating to be so close to something that was here before the Ice Age.
HPIM0106.jpg

HPIM0108.jpg

The opposite bank of the creek is where the amusement park used to be. The body of water the creek empties into is the mighty (filthy) Ohio River.
HPIM0110.jpg

HPIM0115.jpg

HPIM0119.jpg

HPIM0121.jpg

The remains of a footbridge that led to the old amusement park. You can see virtually the same picture during summer on the Wikipedia entry for the Rose Island amusement park.
HPIM0124.jpg

The branch came mere inches from touching the ice.
HPIM0132.jpg

HPIM0135.jpg

HPIM0139.jpg

HPIM0144.jpg

HPIM0156.jpg

Ice volcano! This was a frozen waterfall that collapsed as the temperature began to rise.
HPIM0158.jpg

More to come...

Shows how far up this little tributary stream I had to climb to get to the waterfall.
HPIM0160.jpg

HPIM0169.jpg

HPIM0170.jpg

HPIM0171.jpg

HPIM0176.jpg

HPIM0178.jpg

An excellent view of the confluence of Fourteen Mile Creek and the Ohio.
HPIM0180.jpg

This is as high up as I got that day.
HPIM0181.jpg

The land of driftwood and spider webs...as often as the river rises and falls, I doubt this area has ever been free of floating debris.
HPIM0185.jpg

HPIM0186.jpg

HPIM0191.jpg

Looks like Indiana sucks as much as Massachusetts.

I find the best thing for months long hiking is a simple but durable trail running shoe. The most comfortable and enjoyable, at the very least.