circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Through the Eyes of the Dead – Bloodlust
Prosthetic Records – 100282-2 – October 25th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

277152296_m.jpg

As I’ve made my way through the stack of Prosthetic discs, I’ve noticed that said label is quite similar to Metal Blade. It may seem weird, but I see numerous parallels between both record companies. With the advent of metalcore, both labels scrambled to sign the latest and greatest bands of the subgenre, and thus the metal world has witnessed the release of a –core album every day since, like, the late ‘90s. Embellishment aside, though, Through the Eyes of the Dead are sort of Prosthetic’s answer to Metal Blade’s The Black Dahlia Murder insomuch as both play melodic death, but are quickly relegated to the metalcore bin by haters and scoffers alike. Much like Unhallowed and Miasma, Bloodlust boasts myriad amenities, but ultimately winds up delivering an average 38 minutes of whatever subgenre we’re confining it to.

I’ve noticed that Prosthetic Records definitely have their shit together, so believe you me that this five-piece mob are entirely capable of playing their instruments, writing decently structured songs, and pummeling the consumer with quasi-brutal interjections. Cantley handles the drumming well, though some of the double-bass passages are unconvincing and unbelievably fast. The vocals are typical for the subgenre – no newness here – while the guitars retain enough crunch to be slightly menacing. I mean, Bloodlust isn’t all too different from what you’ve heard before, and I say that with 100% confidence. On the flip side, however, it proves impossible to be unmoved by a song such as “Truest Shade of Crimson,” which offers up kickass breakdowns complemented by a snaky lead (1:30-1:50). Otherwise, Through the Eyes of the Dead fall short of lacing this popular style with enough innovation to warrant substantial praise.

It might be advantageous to cut “Intro,” “The Black Death and Its Aftermath,” and “Outro,” then Bloodlust would be 35 minutes of non-stop action; that’s the type of thing I can go for. But as it stands now, this style is oversaturated and Through the Eyes of the Dead aren’t exactly a departure from the norm. Unfortunately, the adequate execution is marred by forgettable compositions. Whether they’re melodeath or metalcore, I still wouldn’t invest too much interest or money in this quintet. Moronically, I suppose the subgenre debate rests with the members’ hair lengths, so whip out that measuring stick. Pervert.

7/10

Official Through the Eyes of the Dead Website
Official Prosthetic Records Website