circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Through the Eyes of the Dead – Malice
Prosthetic Records – 10046-2 – August 21, 2007
By Jason Jordan

tteotdm.jpg

“Until the day we are dead, we are in constant misery,” new Through the Eyes of the Dead vocalist Nate Johnson (ex-Premonitions of War) barks in the title track of the band’s sophomore follow-up to their Prosthetic debut Bloodlust. For those who’ve been paying attention to this up-and-coming group, Malice is heavier and more brutal than Bloodlust – probably due to recent, line-up changes and Erik Rutan’s (Hate Eternal, ex-Morbid Angel) killer, production job. And while it could be argued that Malice is bereft of emotion and gray matter, it’s a blistering effort that is easier to comprehend than Beneath the Massacre’s blur-fest Mechanics of Dysfunction (also courtesy of Prosthetic), and could, in fact, serve as a worthy alternative.

Most of this 39-minute album emphasizes brutality over melody, unlike their previous, and Malice further aligns Through the Eyes of the Dead with the death metal subgenre, even if many pigeonhole them with the deathcore or modern metal tag. Either way, songs like ‘Failure in the Flesh,’ ‘The Undead Parade,’ ‘To Wage a War,’ and others range from mid-to-fast-pace, but crush no matter the tempo. Johnson’s meaty growls are a great addition to the fold. Again, though, this seems to be the type of record you play when you want aggressive, hard-hitting metal that requires little concentration. Despite that, there’s a general swagger, and noticeable melody, about tunes such as ‘A Catastrophe of Epic Proportions,’ ‘As Good As Dead,’ and ‘To the Ruins.’

Though Malice is a stable outing in its own right, I envision it acting as a substitute for those who find Beneath the Massacre too fast and too busy. Through the Eyes of the Dead’s latest is a fun yet punishing listen that should get queued up now and again. Let’s pray the next one is more challenging, but no less engaging, with equally pleasing artwork.

Official Through the Eyes of the Dead Website
Official Prosthetic Records Website

i do love the new effort...the only problem is...they sound SOOO much better live. The production is incredible...but they become redundant to me.

I enjoyed this review.

Btw...they did a bonus track cover of Morbid Angel "Dominate"...pretty damn good as well.