Throwdown-Style Band - new song and new mix

JoeJackson

Oct 9, 2007
Germany
Hey guys ...

A few days ago I posted a song of a band's demo that I'm mixing at the moment. I struggled with the drums - especially the snare as some of you may remember :D

Well, I deleted the whole project and started again with another song...
http://www.sneapforum.celtiaproductions.co.uk/JoeJackson/spillyourblood_final.mp3

I replaced the snare with the Hirax-Sample that was posted in the Samples-Thread and I used the Sneap-Kick as well as the Sneap-Toms - replaced via aptrigga.
I'm not really happy with that snare - it seems that I suck on processing snares :D

Guitars are guitar rig and I added two tracks with a tuned Kittie (Revalver MKII)

Bass is pure SansAmp.

What do you think?

Upon listening to the whole song, the only thing I'd try to do is make the drums bigger if you could and tighten the guitars on the breakdown part at the end. You can hear some slop from the guitar player(s) in there.

Have you tried sending the drums to a group track (not cymbals, just drums) and compressing the shit out of it? That works for me to add some thump and thickness? Just blend it in a bit underneath the actual drum tracks.

Hmm... the drummer can be a such a fucking bum. The guitar player told me, the songs are pretty much first-takes, because that bastard behind the drums wanted to go home and watch tv. And nobody told him, that he played like a sloppy asshole :D

So the bassdrum is partly mistriggered and there are a lot of accidental hits. I tried to fix that on one song and decided that it would be better to lower the volume of the kick ;)

Damn ... okay, one last try - then I'm going to bounce the songs ... :D

the second mix sounds better, but i kindof agree with unavailable that it lacks some sort of liveliness. also the drums could sound less triggered, maybe buss every drum to some subtle reverb or something.