New song! Mix test Clip!

Unavailable

May 28, 2006
Bay Area, CA
Guitars are a real horror story this time around for me. Thanks to guitarhack for his impulses saving me. This is a clip of one song for an eight song demo.

Guitars are GT8 100% LR, and Carvin V3 through a crappy Crate cab 80% LR. Didn't take a single DI for some dumb reason. The impulses really cleaned it up.

Edit:
Basically I'm looking for some advice on where to go from here.

Here's a couple with different snares. No mastering. Which one do you like better?

Original snare mixed with Andy's snare.
http://www.upload.celtiaproductions.co.uk/uploads/FOD sample 2.mp3

Original snare mixed with Ronnie's cover band snare.
http://www.upload.celtiaproductions.co.uk/uploads/FOD sample 3.mp3

Hmm. I assume there's no bass there.. or if there is it's really low in the mix or you really cut all the "bass frequencies" away from it. It would be nice to hear vocals too... IMO the snare is a bit too dry and doesn't really sit in the drum mix that well... maybe try another sample or less sample or more reverb and increase the reverb on the slow parts or use another more roomy sample on the slow parts. Otherwise it sounds ok to me. I'm sure it'll sound fine when you get the bass and vocals properly to sit there along with the guitars and drums.

Hmm. I assume there's no bass there.. or if there is it's really low in the mix or you really cut all the "bass frequencies" away from it. It would be nice to hear vocals too... IMO the snare is a bit too dry and doesn't really sit in the drum mix that well... maybe try another sample or less sample or more reverb and increase the reverb on the slow parts or use another more roomy sample on the slow parts. Otherwise it sounds ok to me. I'm sure it'll sound fine when you get the bass and vocals properly to sit there along with the guitars and drums.
Thank you very much. That's quite a heap of useful advice there.

What do you think of the Carvin V3, man? I wanted one for awhile, but I couldn't pass up the deal I got on my jSX...

I totally wish I could give you a good review of it, but the only cabinet the band and I had access to was a shitty crate. I'll tell you we got it sounding fairly good through it, but the distortion/gain was pretty plasticy and fizzy to me. Doesn't have the hard edge that good Peavey stuff has.