Thumbs up or down on this PC I'm building.

Planning on running Cubase and maybe Photoshop and Premier. Nothing else crazy. Please tell me if this will be something worth purchasing like tomorrow. Appreciate the input, if anyone would recommend upgrading anything.

i7 950 3.06ghz
ASUS Sabethtooth X58 Motherboard
(3)2gig DDR3 ram
650W supply
Standard Darth Vader looking like gamer case
EVGA 240 1gig Video (supposedly can support up to 3 monitors)
2TB combined HDs
Windows 7 Home 64bit

$1095

Going to Frankenstein the rest from my other PC

Checked everything, and it all seems to be compatible. Think this is a pretty good setup or should I reconsider anything?

Sorry for probably being the 1 millionth "Building a PC" thread lol this was specifically what I was interested in.

Thank you :worship:

Agreed. i7 is beast and your VSTs will thank you, but once you get into a situation where lots of wav data and/or sample-based virtual instruments are pumping, you'll tank that 4 gig. Result: "FFFFFFFFFuuuuuuuu!!!"

I was thinking 8 would work but the dude quoted me after convincing himself that 6 would be enough... That's why I posted on here because it didn't seem just right

I can't remember of the top off my head what they had 12g for...

Honestly ANYTHING is going to be better than my Dell Dimension 4800 lmfao

Should I just cough up the few hundred and go out with 12g instead? I figured 6 would be enough running a few instances of drumagog, 2-3 sims if need be and T-Racks/Ozone on group channels and the master

Would I be seeing a huge difference with more ram over the processing power? I have really never been able to go crazy with my sessions because my shit is always maxed the fuck out- drives me crazy. So I want to make sure this is the right buy.

But you think a less powerful processor and more ram would do better than a stronger processor and less ram while I save up for more ram later on?

Thanks for the quick responses

Sample libraries eat up RAM, VSTs/sims eat up CPU. Depending on how you consolidate tracks and what is more typical of you to use (samples or effects) will determine if CPU power vs RAM is more important. I would say that you should probably keep your CPU and look for 8GB for RAM, should bring the price up by about $50-100

A 3.0GHz quad core with 8-12GBs of RAM would be hard to hit the limit unless you where really trying.

I don't understand the point of having more than 4GB of ram on a PC right now. On a 32bit DAW (& 64bit windows) I can still only access 3.5GB of RAM and that's only if I purposely open about 3 project running Superior 2.0 and a ton of ampsims. Unless I'm running on a 64bit DAW I can't access more than 3.5GB right? Also 64bit seems so powerful that even though I have the extra ram it will rarely, almost never, exceed going passed 3.5GB of RAM unless I purposely have open a ton of projects.

Is this correct? or am I doing something wrong here?

I don't understand the point of having more than 4GB of ram on a PC right now. On a 32bit DAW (& 64bit windows) I can still only access 3.5GB of RAM and that's only if I purposely open about 3 project running Superior 2.0 and a ton of ampsims. Unless I'm running on a 64bit DAW I can't access more than 3.5GB right? Also 64bit seems so powerful that even though I have the extra ram it will rarely, almost never, exceed going passed 3.5GB of RAM unless I purposely have open a ton of projects.

Is this correct? or am I doing something wrong here?

64-bit OS can support up to 128GB. If you have ever used SD2.0 or any orchestral sample libraries, you will find out first hand that it becomes very easy to max out 4GB when a 64-bit OS usually eats up a Gig to start.

I'd be rendering most of it- mostly vsts. I'm going to save money with this deal and the MB has more than enough slots so I could just buy a 4th stick and have 8

That is my next upgrade. I currently have the fastest AMD dual core (Athlon II 270) with 4GB of DDR3 and I am finding that my memory is giving out way before my CPU. 8GB is a little bit more difficult to burn than 4GB.

Only if you are using a 64-bit DAW though, a 32-bit application running on a 64-bit OS is still limited to 4gb isn't it?

That's what I'm saying. 32-bit Reaper maxes out at 3.5gb for me when loading a few projects with instances of Superior 2.0. Crashes right when I hit the limit.

Now I just tried this in 64-bit reaper and while Reaper was telling me it was using about 240mb of ram, Superior was indeed going over 2048mb/2gb and then it crashed, not even adding up to 3.5GB. :err:

My guess is that it was because Superior isn't a 64-bit plug-in.

I'm no computer expert but you may want a bigger power supply. I have an i7-950 and a 900 watt ps. I sometimes get power issues. COuld be just my machine but you can't have too much power. You start spinning a couple of hard drives a decent video card and a power hungry cpu and you'll be using some power!

I'll just link them. Jbridge

Here's the blurb off their page:
Using inter-process communication mechanisms, it aims to make it possible to run 32bit plugins in 64bit hosts, 64bit plugins in 32bit hosts, or even bridging 32bit plugins to 32bit hosts, allowing to overcome the memory limitations of a single 32bit process, in this last case.

I've been using it for the last 2yrs. It does have some issues with some plugins, NI5 was wonky. But for the most part it works, allows you to run 32bit VSTs in the 64-bit DAW and/or run forked VST's in either case. I don't have Superior, but the forums are active and the dev is proactive about making broken plugins work so its worth the low cost.

I'll just link them. Jbridge

Here's the blurb off their page:

I've been using it for the last 2yrs. It does have some issues with some plugins, NI5 was wonky. But for the most part it works, allows you to run 32bit VSTs in the 64-bit DAW and/or run forked VST's in either case. I don't have Superior, but the forums are active and the dev is proactive about making broken plugins work so its worth the low cost.

very very nice...tnx for that!

It´s a great PC. Don´t downgrade the i7 because of RAM. Put more RAM later as it´s cheap and ridiculously easy to install. Don´t know the video card but if you´re not into gaming any one will do.

ps: IMO Darth Vader case is lame.

Yeah, from reading previous threads I got that it would be good to have more power and two seperate drives, one or both being an ssd but that shit is going to be expensive- I'll just have to back everything up:zzz:

the evga 240 is supposed to be pretty fucking solid, without going overboard with the whole gaming thing- I haven't gotten into pc games since CounterStrike and fucking Diablo II which by the way I'm going to get w.o.w. status on Diablo III hahahaha fml... But yeah the evga 250 is supposed to be the step up and can handle more graphic intense application, but I don't think I need that.

Sprack- thank you for the link and thank you guys for the input.

I think maybe an upgrade in power and just get 8 gigs for some peace of mind

Eventually when I have (hopefully) established myself I will get an ssd and everything else.

Like I said before, I'm upgrading from a fucking Dell Dimension 4800- I can't zoom in or out of my projects withouth my cpu meter peaking and choking and doing this bullshit every so often

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...5265515632_100000814793203_196099_37341_n.jpg

Have to look into the 32-64 bit on that link now...

Oh and

http://genxcomputers.com/images/antec900.jpg

I don't think it looks THAT lame

Better than the hotpink butterfly one I half considered... For a laugh...

That looks pretty nice (unless the blue light is too bright, than it will be annoying). When you´ve said Darth Vader case I was thinking on something like this :lol:
usb-gadgets-10.jpg