Thunderstone - Tools Of Destruction

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Thunderstone - Tools Of Destruction
Nuclear Blast - NB 1423-2 - 2005
By Philip Whitehouse

tools.jpg

If you weren't listening too carefully to some of the lyrics on Finnish trad/power metal act Thunderstone's third full-length, you could be forgiven for thinking that this was a concept album about erectile dysfunction. In opening track 'Tool Of The Devil', there's a line that sounds spookily like 'you try to steer your path / try to keep erection', whilst the fourth track is titled 'I Will Come Again'. However, amusing though this possibility of male impotence-inspired lyricism is, Thunderstone as a band deserve a little bit more respect than that. In fact, they are a top drawer purveyor of 80s-indebted, hard rock-influenced power metal with a nod to Stratovarious' more stripped down moments and Evergrey's bombast.

While blessed with a thoroughly modern, punchy production (nice thick guitar tone and an excellent, growling bass sound), there's something within Thunderstone's music that sounds distinctly old-school. It's as if Whitesnake got together with a young Ronnie James Dio, transported themselves forwards in time about twenty years and started this band. The opening track is one of the catchiest, most groove-oriented mid-tempo power metal tracks I've ever heard, while closing track 'Land Of Innocence' lets Thunderstone's prog-power flag fly, with a tinkling piano intro leading to brooding, chuggy riffage which opens into a grandiose, eight-minute epic.

There are little niggly points that detract from my enjoyment of the album, however I do recognise that not everyone hates ivory-tinkling Dream Theater-esque keyboard soloing with quite the fervent passion that I do. However, this is my review, so I'll still drop them a point or so for that. So there. However, I don't think anyone could really deny that obligatory ballad track 'Another Time' is something of an endurance test. Apart from these small points, however, Tools Of Destruction is an excellent album - at once contemporary and punchy whilst still retaining a classic sound that should make older metal/rock fans prick up their ears with interest.

8/10

Official Thunderstone Website
Official Nuclear Blast Website