Stargazer
Oct 15, 2002
Far Beyond The Galaxy
Visit site
Thunderstone - The Burning
Nuclear Blast 2004
By Graham Boyle

burning_disco.jpg

I was left unimpressed by Thunderstone's self titled debut; it had a couple of good songs, but then it all faded away into generic power metal oblivion.

It was a friend of mine who insisted that "The Burning" was so good that it had to be the best power metal album he has heard in the last 8 years. Here I am now, with the album in front of me, and really not much has changed from the band's debut. There may be some slighly more memorable melodies, but Stratovarius and Sonata Arctica can sleep easy.

In fact I am reminded so much of Sonata throughout the album, that it seems Thunderstone have a bit of an an identity crisis. Having said that, if I hadn't known those two bands, "The Burning" would be a pretty decent listen. It is certainly well produced, and compotently played, but the lyrics are not the strongest. I can't find anything really outstanding here, nothing jumps out and makes me want to play the album over and over.

Luckily "The Burning" is saved by the digipak versions of 6, yes six, bonus tracks. 3 covers and 3 demo's of songs from the group's debut. Metallica's "Wecome Home (Sanitarium)" is a great surprise, well done, enjoyable and ultimately a nice tribute to the once mighty metal kings.

The word that comes to mind with Thunderstone, is average - these guys aren't going to set the world on fire, but the power metal crowd will almost certainly appreciate this album. Now, what was I saying about best power metal in the last 8 years? DragonForce and Sonata debut albums are my choice.

3/5

Official Nuclear Blast Website
Official Thunderstone Website