Thy Art Is Murder - The Son Of Misery mix practice + Multitracks. Critz please!!!

Lupus1984

https://soundcloud.com/xenotype-mixing
Mar 18, 2014
Germany
www.facebook.com
Hey peoplezzz :)

I did a Thy Art Is Murder cover. It's the song THE SON OF MISERY. It was done for mix practice and testing of the Helix Native plugin from Line6 on guitars.

Drums were programmed by Frank Smith and are done with Tonntrack The Metal Foundry SDX.

Solo was performed by Danny Greenwood.

DRUMS - Toontrack Metal Foundry (changed snare to 6,5x14" Mapex Black Panther Maple from EZX Progressive)
GUITARS - Line6 Helix Native - PV Panama (5150) with external IR - Mesa 4x12 V30 SM57
BASS - Impact Studio Dingwall Bass

I hope you like it and let me know what you think. Thank you.

If you guys want the raw tracks let me know.

Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0byuoqg41kl4rfu/Thy Art Is Murder - Thy Son Of Misery - XenoType Cover.wav?dl=0

Multitracks:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0pm3hfh4f78nyz1/Thy Art Is Murder - The Son Of Misery - Multitracks.zip?dl=0

TEMPO: 260bpm 4/4

Last edited:
Reactions: Nikolas Quemtri
Really nice job dude :)
What can I say. Your mixes are better and better and at this stage you don't need any criticism such as: this is so loud, this should be more prominent and blah, blah, blah... You have your own mixing style which sounds great and NOW focus on your productions and let get the ball rolling :) !!!

Your mix sounds sick!
Well... maybe except for cymbals. Metal foundry cymbals sound so generic, especially ride and china, but thats just personal taste so who cares :D

Reactions: Nikolas Quemtri
Your mix sounds sick!
Well... maybe except for cymbals. Metal foundry cymbals sound so generic, especially ride and china, but thats just personal taste so who cares :D

First of all thank you. :) I actually really do like the China and Ride. The china is a bit darker and same for the Ride Bell. I feel like the cut through better when they have a bit of a darker voicing compared to the crash cymbals. But yes 100% matter of taste.

Far out man, this sounds awesome insane.

I gotta say, that is the best metal foundry snare I've ever heard. I always struggle with them but this sounds fucking awesome. Any secrets you can share? What did you do for this track?

Awesome mix once again man \m/

Far out man, this sounds awesome insane.

I gotta say, that is the best metal foundry snare I've ever heard. I always struggle with them but this sounds fucking awesome. Any secrets you can share? What did you do for this track?

Awesome mix once again man \m/

Thanks dude. Actually the secret to the snare is that this is the 6,5x14" Mapex Black Panther Maple from the EZX Progressive Library. I should have been more precise what the drums are. But aside from that the rest is Metal Foundry.

The thing is I used Superior Drummer 3 to build the kit and swapped the snare and assigned the mics. The rest is mixing.

I know the struggle with Metal Foundry snares and to be honest they suck hard. There is way to much "snare rattle" in the top mics and they all sound so "small" like a needle hitting the floor. :D

For processing its just the usual equalization and compression. Nothing special here.

Last edited:
@Teddyboy I really like Helix. For me there are two things you need to take care of:

1. Setting the input gain RIGHT (between -12 and -18db)
2. use an external cab (I can't handle the inbuilt ones)

For me Helix can sound really close to a real amp, with some tweaking.

It was a Mesa 4x12 V30 SM57 cab from the "7Deadly Sins" Pack.

There are things I would personally change about the mix, but only because of personal preferences, not because they don't work. Your mix is really damn good, man!

Thanks for sharing this killer cover.
You did an amazing job.
I used this to check the combination of SM57 and one of my new vintage MD421 U5 mics.

I just started playing with those DIs, and I've got to say that they are amazing! Is bass DI a impact bass bounce?

In case anyone wants to know. The guitar I used was my beloved Schecter Jeff Loomis NT 7 with an upgraded EMG 81-7 in the bridge. Other than that most of the power of the DI's is tight playing and hitting the strings hard.

To say it with the words of Mr. Brian Hood:

"If you pick like a bitch, you get a bitch tone" :D True story.

This is where I got. If I would've had more time I would've played with some of the snare a bit more. Thanks for the upload!