Bill Ward's Red Pants
Oct 21, 2003
The Southland
sonofnun7.wordpress.com
Thyrfing – Farsotstider
Candlelight Records – CDL289 - February 7th, 2006
By Josh Phillips

farsotstider_cover.jpg

Thyrfing is a band I've always kept somewhat at arm's length, never really sure what to think of their music. On one hand, I'm a huge viking/pagan metal fan, from the bouncy folk of Ensiferum to the serious, epic majesty of Falkenbach, but I've never been able to get into Thyrfing, a band widely hailed in the genre. I own Vansinnesvisor and it failed to really engage me on a number of occasions that I listened to it. It has some good material, but it just never generated that spark. So, for obvious reasons, I was somewhat weary to approach Farsotstider, but I still wanted to hear it and see how the band has evolved and if the enigmatic elements that made me indifferent to them would still remain.

The first thing I noted as the wily backbone riff of opener "Far Åt Helvete" kicked in, was that the production is dirtier, grittier and more fitting to the form of music on this record. I was immediately reminded of a pagan metal outfit that I truly enjoy, Mordaehoth. From the groovy, rock 'n roll type riffing to the overall sound of the album and even the vocals, this song just rings Bloedwraak. Some eerie chanting heralds the exit of the song, and I'm already impressed with what I hear. This record has reduced the amount of keyboards used and also turned to a more pagan metal formula than the combination of bouncier folk and intense darker music that was found on the last record. Now, those traits have given way to a more constant, blended atmosphere where the instruments work well off one another and the guitar takes the lead, grinding out some well-played filthy rhythms that get my foot tapping along. Also, vocalist Thomas Väänänen should be commended for his range with both growled and clean vocals. From your typical high-pitched screeched, to spoken word, to low growls to clean singing. As far as I know, that's him on the album's main highlight "Höst" and if you want to hear some excellent viking metal singing, it can be found here. The drumming is adequate and sets a nice pace and rhythm, the bass is audible, thick and creates a nice punch to the riffs that didn't seem to be there on their previous album. The record moves methodically along, full of excellent tunes and keeps me interested as I listen through to the end, but nothing really makes me stop and say "whoa" and play it again.

Overall, this is a solid record. As you've seen from the review, I've really only got positive things to say about Thyrfing's latest, BUT, even though this is a solid record, it doesn't have me jumping up and down. It's wholly competent, good music and I'd listen to it from time to time, but outside of "Höst", I don't really find here any major highlights that would keep me coming back again and again. Despite their differences, there is something this record holds with their last, the inability to fully catch my attention, lay it on and never relent. Just as Farsotstider has its own highlight, Vansinnesvisor has "Världsspegeln." An excellent track, backed by a group of rather good, but sometimes unmemorable tracks. I like this band, but there is something intangible there that keeps me from loving their music and listening to it on a regular basis. They've come leaps and bounds in the last few years though and if you are a fan of the band, and liked what they've done in the past, you should by all means adore this even more. If nothing else, this album did re-awaken me to the presence of the band and made me re-visit the material of theirs that I own and it is growing on me. A very good, solid release, that will likely get better with time, even if it isn't quite crossing the threshold into excellent yet.

7/10

UM's Review Rating Scale

Official Thyrfing Website
Official Candlelight Records Website

Well, I agree that Vansinnesvisor was merely an average album, but from your review I'm not sure I'll like the latest anymore. I'll stick with Thyrfing's classic Valdr Galga and Urkraft CD's to fill my need for excellent viking metal of the Swedish variety.