Tiamat - Sumerian Cry

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
As a long-time Tiamat fan, I'd never checked out their debut. I always knew it was a very different record, but only after hearing it could I really see what everyone was talking about.

This is a strange marriage of blackened death metal with low, very low growls. It's hard to label it as just death metal or black, cause it shares elements from both genres. The recording is filthy and suffocating. Johan Edlund just sounds like a different singer here.

Someone said Sumerian Cry was his favourite Swedish death metal album along with Therion's second album... I guess I can see why.

What does everyone else think of this disc?

i used to be crazy about tiamat (the first metal gig i went to was tiamat's istanbul gig in 2000) and i still frequently listen to a deeper kind of slumber, wildhoney (which are, i believe, milestones) and occasionally clouds and the astral sleep...but never further than those.

Wildhoney is the only Tiamat I am familiar with beside some of the early Treblinka stuff, and lets face it, Wildhoney isn't exactly completely metal at any rate.

:Smug: i didnt mean what you think
just wanted to let you know beforehand that it's not a metal album. but im 100% sure you'll enjoy it

the way you put it in italics had me worried for a sec

and everyone cares, im important:(

did check out wildhoney and its really really nice. should be getting a few spins for the next week or so, then ill try out deeper kind of slumber.