The Tiamat thread

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
I did a search to see if Tiamat had been discussed on this board yet, but it yielded no results except a few posts where the band was mentioned on unrelated topics.

I have been listening to this band as long as Opeth, which is about ten years, and I've heard pretty much all of their material with some exceptions. They started out as a pretty standard black/death metal band, but evolved with each release tremendously (the growth from their debut to The Astral Sleep is impressive to say the least. However, it wasn't until Clouds and then Wildhoney were released that the band started to get more exposure and do extensive tours. With their perfect combination of Floydian psychedelia, some little traces of prog and ambiance, as well as the occasional extreme metal leanings, these two albums established them as a pretty unique act.

From then on, according to some, they started going downhill because, rather than expanding on the Wildhoney sonics, they had decided to move on and push their compositional and musical skills, much like Anathema, Amorphis and Ulver. Though I'd agree their recent material may not be up to par with their earlier work, I've always respected Johan Edlund for trying to take different musical paths for artistic expression. Also, I always felt albums like A Deeper Kind of Slumber and the more recent Prey deserve much praise. They did put out some mediocre discs along the way, but pretty much every band falters to some degree or another in their fifteen-plus-year career.

On a side note, singer Johan Edlund's deep, breathy baritone vocals are amazing in my opinion. He's also guested on several side projects including an Ayreon album where he truly shines. I've also heard he's got a solo disc out, but I haven't heard anything about it. So if you have, feel free to jot down your thoughts on it.

Anyway, I hope this thread serves as a medium for us to talk and discuss the works of Tiamat. Which apsects of their music appeal to you or not? What albums do you consider worth checking out? What do you think of their growth as musicians over the years?

Cheers!

Wildhoney is clearly my favourite, Clouds is also great.
i've seen them live in 1995 with Moonspell as the opener. that was a kick-ass concert!!!

A Deeper Kind of Slumber is among my favorite albums from the 90s. It is so much more creative than Wildhoney. I wish Johan Edlund had gone on making music in that vein rather than turn Tiamat into a goth-tinged band. I really like Skeleton Skeletron, but Judas Christ is dismal. There are 5-6 good songs on Prey (especially "The Pentagram" and "Carry your Cross..." - but it took me a while to really like these), so I haven't given up on Tiamat yet.

The Astral Sleep is one of my favorite albums. To bad the band did not write a few more like that.

I believe Clouds is my favorite, with Judas Christ running 2nd. Most others (WH) are great too. I was a little dissipointed with their latest release, I wish they would go back to their early 90's sound!

Paradise Lost is another great band that have left too much behind, I got into these bands at about the same time. I still reguard "Shades of God" as an all time favorite.

What a great time period for Metal 1990-1994!!

Songs from past 90's like "On Golden wings", "Southernmost voyage", " In a dream", "Sleeping beauty", "Carees of stars", "Gaia",- a monuments of doom metal genre like early Katatonia, Anathema and Paradise Lost songs.

derbeder said:
A Deeper Kind of Slumber is among my favorite albums from the 90s. It is so much more creative than Wildhoney. I wish Johan Edlund had gone on making music in that vein rather than turn Tiamat into a goth-tinged band. I really like Skeleton Skeletron, but Judas Christ is dismal. There are 5-6 good songs on Prey (especially "The Pentagram" and "Carry your Cross..." - but it took me a while to really like these), so I haven't given up on Tiamat yet.

agreed on all.

wildhoney is one of my first metal cds and i consider it to be a true milestone in metal history. excellent album.

astral sleep and clouds are great albums, too, but i always wished they had left the production on those two albums a bit rawer. those records deserved more distortion and noise dammit! :headbang:

apart from that, the last few albums are shite. nothing more to say really...maybe only a few tracks are worth mentioning. and they are mentioned above.

a deeper kind of slumber is a true masterpiece...i also like edlund's obscure lyrics.