Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
TIAMAT - PREY
Century Media - 2004

By Rodrigo Escandon

tiamat__prey.jpg

To me Wildhoney (it is hard to believe that it was released 10 years ago) was the pinnacle of Tiamat and since then Johan Edlund and company have progressively gone down with each disappointing and forgettable subsequent releases. So I had not much hope or desire to what Johan was going to offer this time with Prey. Well, I can safely say that this is the best album since Wildhoney.

Tiamat continue their goth rock path with this release and it feels less commercial and more ambient and calmer. Prey has a very distinct depth and lushness to its sound that coupled with its ambient aspect, an exquisite listening experience is created. Your room will feel as there are instruments coming from all over the place with songs such as “Cain” and “Love in Chains”, one can wonder how a 5.1 surround mix would be like with this album.

Johan’s calm, relaxing and unique voice perfectly molds itself to the music and when you hear him sing, there is no doubt as to which band you are listening to. Johan does not do all the singing in Prey. Joining him is a beautiful and soothing female voice that is featured in the slower “Divided” and the catchy “Carry Your Cross and I’ll Carry Mine”.

Prey’s overall feel even works when the band speeds up things a bit with songs like “Light in the Extension” (the most radio-friendly song in the album) and the excellent and melodic “Clovenhoof”, the calmness and soothing aspects are not lost. The diversity in songs and tempos make this album that much stronger and with an album closer like “The Pentagram” a moody, atmoshperic and epic closer that totally reminds me of Pink Floyd, Prey finishes in grand fashion.

Tiamat has always been a band that never makes the same album twice. Each album has been a progression in sound, some have worked and others have not. That is the one constant that is to be found with Tiamat. This may not be a Wildhoney (and why would we want a similar album like that?) but Prey is the closest thing to reaching that classic. I didn’t think that Johan could make another great Tiamat album and I am glad he proved me wrong. Simply put Prey is an excellent and beautiful release.

Century Media Website
Tiamat Official Website