Tiamat - Prey = Katatonia goes electronic

berkleyblack

Dream into Forver
Aug 30, 2003
bham, in bama
i got the promo for this and must say that it is quite good.

it is like you mix some Katatonia with some NIN and substitute sadness and depression for angst and anger and you will get the new Tiamat.

i think that most fans of discouraged ones and tonight's decision, would do well be seeking newer depression here.

not to take anything from the Katatonia boys, but this album is good too and if you are looking to expand your sadness then try a little of Tiamat's 'Prey'.

anyone else here heard this yet? or am just out of my mind in mentioning it?

I was the greatest fan of Tiamat until the lacklustre "Skeleton Skeletron." "Judas Christ" killed Tiamat for me, and "Prey" is the work of a dead band that focuses too much on image and has lost its ability to write truly compelling and honest music. Every album from "Sumerian Cry" to "A Deeper Kind of Slumber" was a masterpiece in its own right, and I encourage anyone into Katatonia and electronic music to get "A Deeper Kind of Slumber" as soon as possible, then work backwards. The last three albums are just sad -- sad in the "how could they sink this low" way.

By the way, it's not hard to pick up on a certain early Tiamat influence in Katatonia's early works, especially "Dance of December Souls."

Erik said:
I was the greatest fan of Tiamat until the lacklustre "Skeleton Skeletron." "Judas Christ" killed Tiamat for me, and "Prey" is the work of a dead band that focuses too much on image and has lost its ability to write truly compelling and honest music. Every album from "Sumerian Cry" to "A Deeper Kind of Slumber" was a masterpiece in its own right, and I encourage anyone into Katatonia and electronic music to get "A Deeper Kind of Slumber" as soon as possible, then work backwards. The last three albums are just sad -- sad in the "how could they sink this low" way.

By the way, it's not hard to pick up on a certain early Tiamat influence in Katatonia's early works, especially "Dance of December Souls."

agreed.
wildhoney and a deeper kind... are brilliant masterpieces.
i guess Johan Edlund is a very talented musician; as i admire him a lot.
it's just that they have changed their backgrounds.
be with it or against it.

I don't get the NIN connection, anyhow "Prey" is a great album, almost up there with Judas Christ (for some reason I love this album) I really like Tiamat's style - I think I would say it's like heavy death rock with a lot of sarcasm - it's sometimes hard to figure out when they are supposed to be taken seriously but the music is always very melodic and moving.

valafar said:
agreed.
wildhoney and a deeper kind... are brilliant masterpieces.
i guess Johan Edlund is a very talented musician; as i admire him a lot.
it's just that they have changed their backgrounds.
be with it or against it.
A Deeper Kind Of Slumber is one of the most beautiful albums ever imo, nothing remotely metal, but it's very fucking sad...just how I like it. there is also a lot of diversity on that album that is not in the newer stuff.

I really like prey alot (as well as Judas and skeleton) but I would like to see the band try and do something different next time.

i think that i have been listening to waaaaayyyyy too much katatonia lately. i hear them in everything.

but i still stick to my Tiamat opinion, that the new album is good, but i will do some more compare/contrasts with Katatonia and get back to you.

damn, i love some Katatonia and it hurts. but that is good right?

Thats my fav Tiamat album aftet wildhoney and deeper kind.. they are back to the roots in mood and seriousness tho its goth-pop too, hehe, but "as usual".. I dont think they should be compared to Katatonia at all. They came from a little bit different roots imo, and heading to a different direction, so what? Tiamat was more goth, Katatonia was doom, and today both of them plays melodic rock, hahaha. Of course all dark bands sound dark as any other band playing dark music.. thats all. Probably you should give a listen to earlier Tiamat albums.. :)

Im also a fan of this band and often have discussions with friends who find them boring/without feeling etc...
I like their latest outputs as well as older stuff (Astral Sleep, hehe...); okay, they have some very easy listening songs (Vote for love...), that might compel old fans to use the skip button, but there are great songs also on Judas Chist f.e.
I don't have the new one (yet), so I can't give a statement, BUT:

For all Tiamat fans from Berlin:Johan Edlund gives an acoustic gig on 12/12 in Berlin/Kalkscheune. There also Flowing Tears and after that a wallsoffire (www.wallsoffire.de) metal party, and all that for 7 Euro...the DJ might also play Katatonia, we'll force him....

Sorry, I have to correct myself:

It's a flowing tears gig where Johan Edlund is special guest and will play 3 songs of "prey" on the acoustic guitar; so unfortunately no full acoustic tiamat gig...

"Deeper Kind of Slumber", particularly the last 4 songs, define what dark, depressing mood-rock is all about!

"Wildhoney" is a classic, as well.

"Skeleton" is severely underrated, as is "Judas". As others have stated, it's hard knowing when, and when not, to take them seriously. However, the quality of the music remains strong, albeit no where near as strong as the aformentioned classics.

I've yet to hear the new one....

salisbury said:
Im also a fan of this band and often have discussions with friends who find them boring/without feeling etc...
I like their latest outputs as well as older stuff (Astral Sleep, hehe...); okay, they have some very easy listening songs (Vote for love...), that might compel old fans to use the skip button, but there are great songs also on Judas Chist f.e.
I don't have the new one (yet), so I can't give a statement, BUT:

For all Tiamat fans from Berlin:Johan Edlund gives an acoustic gig on 12/12 in Berlin/Kalkscheune. There also Flowing Tears and after that a wallsoffire (www.wallsoffire.de) metal party, and all that for 7 Euro...the DJ might also play Katatonia, we'll force him....

I´m thinking about coming to that concert, sounds interesting...and then if afterwards we force the dj to play katatonia....it´s another reason to come, ha ha...
Who other from this board is coming? shall we do a Berlin katatonia fans reunion?