How did you discover Katatonia?

I had an argument with my mom and I was so pist-of. And I sat by MSN and talked to a guy and meanwhile I had the radio on (Bandit).. Anyway, My twin came up on the radion and I thought that, hey, this is a really nice song, who is that? So I looked it up and the next thing I know I love Katatonia and especially My twin. So I sat there really angry and mad, and cursed like never before and listened to My twin. My mood and the feeling in the air, the dark lightning there was made it all so beautiful, it fited the song so well. :D

I loved Katatonia ever since..

/Percy :headbang:

Ive been avoiding this thread because I always feel like I need to tell my life story when it comes to how I began my descent and my uprising from ashes.....this is some personal shit so if you are interested in my story at all....this ones for you guys.

I grew up metal.....but basically had to go buy music without having heard it first....or through magazines I would hear about bands sometimes......so it was tough......I was in a blackmetal band with a guy from france who was getting CDs sent from france which opened me up to some new things.....but things changed when the compilation FIRESTARTER came out......Murder was the song....it also had ulver and borknagar on it.....but murder really struck me with its anti-complexity......I was always into complex stuff and I think most of the bands out were trying to fill things up....not pull things out.....so I worshipped this song till I got BMD......then I worrshipped BMD......
I was drinking heavily......but not doing any herion at the time....which was my love....
I moved.....things got fucked up again....started doing heroin again.....
I made a point to buy discouraged ones when it came out......I remember the day clearly (at least part of it)
I made a trip with my guitarplayer to my old singers house after I bought DO....got high on heroin and put it in
hated it........I was too angry at that point in my life to appreciate it....

I threw DO on the floor of my car where it sat for 6 months

during that time herion took over completely again.....got in fights stole from people....ended up kicked out of my brothers house for fighting with him....

I cleaned out my car before packing up the few things I had left and found DO on the floor.....and as I drove away from my brothers house....depressed....wanting to die.....hopelessly addicted to heroin....with no place to go.

and it happened.....I broke.....I broke in an inward way....I was defeated......I knew things wouldnt get better.....and they didnt.....not for a long time.....

I lived in the back of some moving trucks for the rest of that year......obsessed with how I could identify with Jonas's lyrics and how the music moved me like no other music ever had......

I quit herion again for about 3 months.....but drank constantly...

got high again......overdosed again....

my friends took DO away from me one morning for drinking whiskey and seeming like I was going to kill myself while listening to it....I was angry...

tonights decision came out.......and I pawned CDs to get it.....

my friemds left for out west.....I was alone.....and I lived that way for years.....with no friends.....smoking crack....shooting heroin.....stealing from the few people left who cared about me.......I remember so well not being able to get off the couch because of heroin withdrawal listening to TD.....everyday.....people I knew hated that CD.....because of what it represented....most people thought it was perpetuating my sickness.....but listening to Katatonia helped me to not kill people or myself......it allowed me to live vicariously through it......to wallow in self pity with someone.....it helped me to not feel totally alone in it....I felt like Katatonia could relate to me or I to them more likely......

and that is the first chapter of my life with Katatonia......there is much more....and much more to tell about chapter one....but I doubt most of you will read through this long ass post......if you have read this whole thing....then I hope you guys can understand how much Katatonia did for me...it is truly unexplainable....no matter how much I try.....and that is why I have dedicated myself to collecting katatonia stuff.....in tribute to the ones I felt cared for me when I felt noone else did....
Thank you

Wow. You had a rough ass life. I'm glad you got through it though, a lot don't. :( I know I never had a life like that or close to it, but Katatonia helps me out in other ways too. I don't think one band has made me feel the way Katatonia does. They are one of a kind, a gem, a rarity. If you had more to say Reese, I'd read about it. I don't like to get into peoples business, but it seems you tell about your past because you beat it.

Most people on this board already realize this but, I must add "Brave Murder Day" is IMO, the absolute best doom/death album ever. What this band achieves with just guitar, bass and drums(along with Akerfeldts vocals) is nothing short of phenominal. I have become convinced over the yrs and listening to other such bands, who are very good, My Dying Bride, Swallow the Sun, Evoken, to name a few, no one and I say no one does it better than Katatonia. BMD easily gets my vote for the absolute best album in this genre of Metal.

Katatonia, strangely enough, came during my post-depression period. I spent a couple years in a somewhat deep depression and I listened to a lot of Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Testament, old thrash bands. Eventually (and slowly) I discovered new and better music. Eventually I heard To Bid You Farewell by Opeth and was blown away. I got a bunch more of their stuff and naturally longed for more artists similar. Low and behold I discovered Katatonia, Anathema, My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, etc. Katatonia happens to be my favorite doom band though. I don't know what it is about them, but they just "do it" for me.

@ Deliverance6: Glad to see you're still with us despite your vices. Life is hard. Turn on the radio and think about how many songs by *insert artist/band here* are about the hardships of life. There are too many to count. Yet we trek on, hoping for a better life and something to fill the void inside us. I deal with my own demons on a day-to-day basis (yes, alcohol, i'm looking at you :erk: ) but I know that there is something better, a happier life, ahead of me. It is the will inside of us that keeps us going. I gotta quit now before ol' Al Cohol starts talking for me. Again, perseverance is strength...but you already know that :) .

on topic: I found out about Katatonia thru a Metal Hammer compilation disc about 6 years ago.

This one time i was on IMDB looking at the Silent Hill movie forum, and there was a thread about what kinda music users listen to. ....So...some guy said his favorite band was Katatonia and he said that Silent Hill was "sooooo Katatonic!!" When I read this I was really bored, so being the big Silent Hill fan that I am, I went and downloaded all of Katatonia's albums and a bunch of EPs. I reaallly reallyy liked them. I've been searching stores for their CDs but have only found Dance of December Souls, Last Fair Deal Gone Down, Viva Emptiness, and The Great Cold Distance.....

In early 2004 a friend sent me a cd-r of BMD, i listened to it once and thought it was good, but didnt go near it for quite a while.Towards the middle of summer i decided i would go to my first outdoor european festival. Myself and a friend chose Wacken, but after problems finding certain documents for my passport application it was clear that i would not have a passport in time for wacken. After several days of being very, very fuckin`angry i looked on the net for other festivals and discovered the Summer Breeze Festival.

I`d heard only a few bands on the lineup, Hypocrisy, Six Feet Under, Primordial and maybe 5 others. Katatonia was one band on the lineup that i had an urge to see. In the time slot of Midnight to 1AM Katatonia proceeded to blow me away. When i returned home i listened to BMD non-stop and then proceeded to get every Katatonia album.

Katopethia said:
I went and downloaded all of Katatonia's albums and a bunch of EPs.
argh, I really can't see how you can do that:(
Is there no love in buying a cd on which are a lot of songs you don't know yet..?
ok, downloading some random songs is fine, but to me it's so good to hear at least 50% of the songs for the first time when I buy the album

Vincent J. said:
argh, I really can't see how you can do that:(
Is there no love in buying a cd on which are a lot of songs you don't know yet..?
ok, downloading some random songs is fine, but to me it's so good to hear at least 50% of the songs for the first time when I buy the album

I did it too...but I bought everything I could afterwords...everything I could find in Israel which is not much really...I'd love to get all vinyls when I stop being broke

paradoxile said:
I did it too...but I bought everything I could afterwords...everything I could find in Israel which is not much really...I'd love to get all vinyls when I stop being broke
don't understand me wrong, I'm not blaming anyone, but I just would not want to hear all of their music for the first time like that...

I understand you completely...it lacks the rush of hearing an original album for the first time...I thought so too back before I had an internet connection(that would be 2002)...but I used to buy shitty music without hearing it first and then I couldn't find a way to get rid(that means sell) of those cd's because pretty much everyone owned one already.
this new way to listen to every album thoroughly and buy it if it's good enough...and this way I know exactly what I'm getting.

I would just like to point out that when I download a discography I give every album a week to soak in and not listening to all the discography at once...that's just damn confusing and makes you miss all those little things that develope in a band through the years