How Did You Discover Katatonia ?

Not sure if it was done before but, I was just talking to a friend about ol' days and remembered how I came across Katatonia.

I borrowed 3 cassette tapes from a guy back in '97 and those were Dance Of December Souls, Brave Murder Day, and Discouraged Ones.
He recommended them as black metal and a "weird disappointing" change in style on the last album, back then being Discouraged Ones.
These were bootleg tapes, mind you. I told him he got screwed and that Discouraged Ones album is a totally different band with a Katatonia logo xeroxed on the cover. It couldn't be the same band. The difference was mind boggling. He said "maybe it's that October Tide project, I know one of them is involved".

Anyway, I remember being confused by DO because i really loved it and I was only into extreme stuff up to then. Quite an eye opener for me. One of those albums that makes you more receptive to mixed/weird styles of metal and/or music in general.

couldnt hurt to try again :lol:. i first heard them in first year university. was just getting into opeth, made my way to bloodbath, and katatonia just fell into place :)

I read an interview in a mag back in the 90's during Brave Murder Day. I loved the photos and description of the music. Later I did a tape trade with someone and they put Opeth's Morningrise on it along with Brave Murder Day.

Had a huge bound of teenage angst and depression. Some person on the internet said it was muisc that expressed that. Bought Viva Emptiness on a whim with no experience with metal apart from Within Temptation. Changed my life.

Hahah!)))) I found my own post May 7th, 2002, 04:57 AM, how I discovered Katatonia:

I read in a magazine about "Discouraged Ones" and asked to lidten for a couple of minutes in a shop. I thought then "snotty crap" and went home. And i returned on the next day and bough the cd, cause all night i was haunted by "visions of her drown". I was blown away!

I can only add... Then was the time, when I knew that Tom Sedotchenko(EverEve) killed himself. I couldn't just understand that thing. How, why, etc etc. I couldn't listen to EverEvenearly 2 months, I listened Katatonia Discouraged Ones... I can't tell did their music help me or it has been drowning me in that depression. Sometimes the pressure was so high, that I thought, something is about to click in my head and there will be no Anthony. Thank God I was young and I went through it)

Then in stores Tonight's Decision appeared. I was in love with one girl and that summer when I bought the CD I had a lot travels by trains - that are things, associated with the album: distant love, summer, trains. I love this album deliriously, listen to it very often and take my inspiration from it. I consider it non-metal, with wrong metal sound, and sometimes I try to imagine, how it would be with different sound.

And then, it was summer too, LFDGD appeared. I lost my mind completely))))) LFDGD with gorgeous artwork, incredible site with intro took my breath away from first notes))) Summer, white St.Petersburg nights, love, kindness, deep - these are the associations with the album. I began to dig and listen to all things related to Katatonia - October Tide, Diab.Masquerade, things that they mentioned as favourite albums - Porcupine Tree, A Perfect Circle, Blackfield, Palace Music. I found a lots of cool non-metal music, so I even stopped to call myself metalhead. But NOTHING was comparable to Katatonia!
My LFDGD CD was with no lyrics. I didn't even know it was pirated, I thought it's "for Russia, with simplified typography"(these words I seen on some licensed CDs that time). So I was unsophisticated enough to ask on this forums: "Hey guys, post here your lyrics please")))))))))))))))) The answer went from Anders: "If there's no lyrics in the inlay, you bought pirated shit!"))))))))))))))))) I was sad about it, but my love for Katatonia still was in my heart)))

Then, as you can guess, it was summer, I got Viva Emptiness. Before that album I was in fear of Katatonia is going pop. But after I heard it I began to fear the will go metal. I loved the music, but I wanted they to do something really new. They chose another way, it's their right, they are creators...

Next two albums - TGCD and NITND went like sand through fingers. But I never stop listening TD, LFDGD, the singles of these albums among other non-Katatonian stuff))) And i find that for me October Tide A Thin Shell has got more of that good old LFDGD atmosphere, than new Katatonia things, so I take my inspiration from Fred's work))) And I hope someday Jonas will release solo thing with weird non-metal thick-flangered, over-chorused JeffBuckley-inspired totally new music))))) AMEN.

<<October Tide A Thin Shell has got more of that good old LFDGD atmosphere>>

I don't hear much LFDGD in A Thin Shell, but there is no doubt that album is a solid slab of katatonic doom/death. I'm hoping that the next one will be even better.

Back when Discouraged Ones was a new release, I started writing reviews for Digital Metal (now known as Teeth Of The Divine). As a "welcome to the family" gift, Loana Valencia @ Century Media sent me a large package full of CDs. Discouraged Ones was in that package and it's still my favorite Katatonia album.

Back when Discouraged Ones was a new release, I started writing reviews for Digital Metal (now known as Teeth Of The Divine). As a "welcome to the family" gift, Loana Valencia @ Century Media sent me a large package full of CDs. Discouraged Ones was in that package and it's still my favorite Katatonia album.

dude correct me if i'm wrong but didn't some of the reviewer's from digitalmetal use to run the "eclipse metal mag"?

iirc i was reading some forum and people were talking about the silent hill series. one guy said that he thought sweet nurse reminded him of silent hill 2, so i had to listen to it, didn't like it back then though. i think stefan re-introduced them to me, and now i'm a fanboy <3

Downloaded Viva Emptiness when it was new, listened to a couple of songs and deleted it. Downloaded it again a few years later, and it stuck. Got LFDGD after that and they became my favourite band rather fast :)

Heard Consternation somewhere. Downloaded everything soon after. Bought everything very soon after that. Got everything signed awhile after that, hahahahaha.

I heard the song Brave and originally only liked old Katatonia for awile. Now I enjoy all the bands albums.