How did you discover Katatonia?

A friend of mine played Brave Murder Day for me and I was hooked. This was probably about 5 years ago and I get every album as soon as it comes out. I'm also fortunate enough to have collected all the singles and the first album for VERY little money. (I got the very last copy of Saw You Drown from Nuclear Blast for $11)

Bought "Tonight's Decision" because it had train tracks on the cover. Loved it. Bought them all. All rock.

I got this century media comp. called Firestarter back in early '98, it had Katatonia's "Murder" on it, loved it! Shortly after Discouraged Ones was released, got that album, loved them ever since!

I bought the Century Media compilation Firestarter soon after it was released which was shortly after Brave Murder Day was released. After i heard Murder, i had to go out and buy Brave Murder Day. Its still one of my favorites close to 5 years after i bought it.

Actually it was Jesus Christ Our Lord who suggested I get into them to be honest, and he was right to do so.

I first heard Katatonia about 2 years ago or so on mp3.com as "Katatonia.com" and the first song I heard was "I Break" which still today is one of my favorites. After I had heard that song I had made quick work of finding every work Katatonia had ever put out and listened. : )

Got a CD from a friend...you find that boring?

Okay, it was like that, you know for an ape it's not such easy to get a katatonia CD:

I was long ago in the rain forest, and i was hopping from tree to tree, juggling with bananas (exactly five at once) and i was thinking of my beloved lady, the white snake. Suddenly I same somone crawling through the leaves, a pale man with long blond hair; it seemed he lost his way, so I jumped down and asked him, what he's searching for. He said, he wants to find a grail or something. I thought why the hell somebody searches for a grail HERE, but nevertheless, people do what they are bound to do..."What's your profession" I asked him and he answered "musician". This guy is cool, i thought, and I invited him for some banana liqueur cocktail in my tree house; I said if he gives me some of his music and a suitable player, I'll lead him out of here. He gave me "dance of december souls" and I liked it very much; I introduced himn to my wife, the white snake, and I think he liked her very much and after some bottles of 111% banana hardcore alcoholics he thought even she's a musician...he also babbled something of his great new project, "diabalcoholical masqude" and after 3 day of coma, I guided him out. Hm, I wonder if he found his grail; he also got a present from my wife, a perfume, "dolce and banana" I think but as far as one can believe the member profiles, he gave it to fred :)

Orca_Bracer said:
Im not sure if this has already been created but I want to restart it for newcomers. I stumbled across them while searching for the band HIM on mp3.com. HIM is an ok band,but when I saw related artists Katatonia, I thought that might be cool. I thought right, teargas was my first glimse of this glorious band that forever hooked me. Im so glad I clicked on that link at that specific moment. If not, what kind of person would I be today without them? Scary isnt it?

That's funny since I found out about Katatonia much of the same way, even down to the searching for HIM thing... astronomical!

first listened to "criminals" and just had to get viva emptiness, gotta find all the older albums, then i will be complete :tickled:

Hey Anna,

I saw your picture of anathema and then I read your name. When I was putting those things together, i thought could she be........ the one who sings extremely great on the last cd of anathema. Well???????

I think for me it was in the bios on Opeth.com, Mike was talking about doing vocals for his friend Jonas' band Kataonia. So I downloaded Brave Murder Day, didn't like it much at first, then one day it just clicked. A while later I bought it, then recently downloaded all their other albums, and am currently searching in cd stores to buy them all. Now they're in a 3-way tie with Opeth and Nightingale for my favourite band. GRR :mad:

My boyfriend told me about Katatonia. He sent me 'Sweet Nurse' and i fell in love (again) ;) hehe, I went out and bought 'Viva Emptiness', 'Last Fair Deal Gone Down' and 'Tonight's Decision' and i looove them. :Smug: I'm looking for some others, but you'd be surprised how very little cd shops stock around here. :err:

A bird that came by, sat on the edge of my window, whispered to me "sorrow drowns your miserable future". And that's pretty much how I got into katatonia.

I read some reviews, and thought it sounded like a good band. So I downloaded VE. I loved it right away. In a few days they were one of my favourite bands. Something like that has never happened before or since.

alternative 4 said:
Hey Anna,

I saw your picture of anathema and then I read your name. When I was putting those things together, i thought could she be........ the one who sings extremely great on the last cd of anathema. Well???????
lol are you talking to me? :err:

i wish i could sing and even better, i wish i could see anathema live.. bleh :erk: