Katatonia influenced bands

the_dying

Jan 4, 2003
La Flandre
gorath.blackmetal.be
I am for more than 10 years into the extreme metal scene. Katatonia is one of the few bands I listen that aren't death metal orientated. I really like the modern Katatonia sound but don't know any other band playing more or less the same style as "Discouraged ones" and newer albums.

Do you guys know other bands playing the same depressing style?

I only can refer to my own Project 407. And sorry 'bout the self promotion, but I'm really curious in discovering Katatonia influenced bands.

...it's called 'emotional rock', => anathema
katatonia is good with their own style but i think it would be horrible to hear katatonia influence, would be almost pop

www.forestofshadows.com they're more old style, and they have a good cover of Rainroom. however they do the new and old like Opeth, so d/l 'Wish' which is a good mix of both, the mellow parts are excellent even though theres more than a hint of opeth/katatonia rip off.

hmm, two you probably already know are lacuna coil and the gathering, i know they're female vocals (no offence at all meant to Jonas) but to me all three go hand in hand. one of my favourite tapes is a Katatonia/the gathering mix, hardly ever out of my MD player.

I don't get it, why do Anathema and Katatonia always get compared with each other? They're surely not that similar! They do appeal to the same group of people though. Don't get me wrong, these 2 bands are my 2 all time favourites!
(little fucked up thing: I've seen Anathema 4 times in 2 years, and never seen Katatonia before :()

Well, Katatonia and Anathema were (and still are in my book) doom, and they have kinda progressed in a similar fashion (more streamlined songs, moved away from growls, added non-metal influences etc), both have fucking awesome lead guitarists, both invoke a great atmosphere, and both bands utterly fucking rule :D :p

Originally posted by Forlorn Hope
I don't get it, why do Anathema and Katatonia always get compared with each other? They're surely not that similar! They do appeal to the same group of people though. Don't get me wrong, these 2 bands are my 2 all time favourites!
(little fucked up thing: I've seen Anathema 4 times in 2 years, and never seen Katatonia before :()

Yeah, last year I had to go to Holland to catch them! I yelled several times "Murder", but they didn't play it. A pity...

I've seen neither live :\

and i really don't think there's any reason to the Anathema influence. and anyway, Katatonia, when moving to their new sound, sounded more "in place", while Anathema lost all of their appeal.

Originally posted by Thortyir
I'm in a band, and we have a bit of katatonia influences too... I think I go to the see the same concrets as forlorn hope, I've never seen Katatonia, but Anathema 5 times since june 1999!!!

As soon as your songs are online, give me a call! I'll check them for sure! Namur! Hell yeah!