A serious 'bands like Katatonia' thread.

requiem

I bleed sir, but not killed
Jul 6, 2001
Australia
Alright, so we're all familiar with the emotion and style of Katatonia (I presume!).

What other bands could be said to have the same qualities of melancholia and atmosphere?

I'd be interested to hear some of your answers and ideas.

Some bands who I believe to be similar to Katatonia in emotion:

Anathema
My Dying Bride (mid-era)
maybe Novembre?

Yeah, Paradise Lost are great. Are you talking about the new stuff, or the old and mid eras?

I saw 'Believe in Nothing' in a local record store and was considering buying it... 'One Second' is okkkkkk.

Do you recommend it?

I love 'Draconian Times' and 'Icon', but obviously I don't expect an album like those two.

Yeah, Agalloch.... I forgot that one too.

Anyway, if you are thinking in download some Rapture´s song, try with "SOMEONE I (DON´T) KNOW".
Oh my God.... what can I say about this song...... just check it out!!

I am looking on Audiogalaxy and this is what it says about Rapture . Synth-pop oriented techno that is sure to get the dance floor hoppin'. Good production doesn't hurt either. :confused: is this the right band, gimme some songs to download

Originally posted by HarmonyDies....
I am looking on Audiogalaxy and this is what it says about Rapture . Synth-pop oriented techno that is sure to get the dance floor hoppin'. Good production doesn't hurt either. :confused: is this the right band, gimme some songs to download
Yeah yeah, this is the band!! But I don´t know why is that info there..... I can´t undersand it.....
Anyway, here are the tracks of the album:

1. Intro
2. To Forget
3. This is Where I Am
4. The Fall
5. While The World Sleeps
6. Futile
7. Someone I (Don´t) Know
8. About Leaving

My favourite is number 7.... :)

Everyone is probably sick of me mentioning these guys by now, but 'Veil of sorrow' are pretty much a clone of Katatonia's current style ;)

How about some old 3rd & the mortal, does that qualify? I don't have the debut LP, but the 2 EP's (Sorrow, and Nightswan) are great.....(shame about what the band became...)

Oh, and for Paradise Lost, I really liked Host- a vast improvement on One Second, which had some great hooks but poorly constructed songs. And I used to be fanatical about the old stuff but it's kinda gotten boring to me now....

And talking about PL just reminded me of Lacuna Coil (since they started off as sortof a PL knockoff). Their music actually depresses me alot, which is odd seeing as MDB makes me happy...

Oh, and talking of LC ;), how about Rotting Christ (the connection is, I first heard LC on a sampler I got with a RC album). 'A Dead Poem' has a really subdued atmosphere, but with some great guitar melodies.

I think that's it ;) :D

damn, i was gonna mention Lacuna Coil (being like a Katatonia with female vocals, and occasional male vocals) no way near a clone or anything but simillar.

Radiohead - i think katatonia are a metal version of Radiohead, both great and depressing in their own ways and they've got that same sort of feel to it, i cant explain it but its only something i get from these two bands.

hmn, The Gathering - i made a perfect mix tape of these 2 bands (katatonia and gathering) and it all fits so well, they compliment each other and are great.

hmn, this veil of sorrow you speak of, name some songs to download please :)

I second the The Gathering statement :D

As for Veil Of Sorrow, umm (I'm just flipping through the album now ;))....
'Veil of broken wishes' is my favourite. It actually fucking hard to seperate some out, there are so many great tracks... ummm, oh well, also the first 5 tracks

In The Midnight Hour
Soulcaptive
the dark within
Scars
Shades of grey

The album is called 'Dark rivers of the Heart'

damn, i was gonna mention Lacuna Coil (being like a Katatonia with female vocals, and occasional male vocals) no way near a clone or anything but simillar.

If you mention Lacuna Coil, I´ve to recommend you Flowing Tears: somehow similar to Lc and Katatonia, but somehow very different too. I can´t explain, you gotta listen to! Another band I really like at present is Antimatter (half ex- Anathema). Although it´s no so-called "metal" anymore, it´s still very depressive.

3 bands that I can think of:

Autumnblaze- Bleak (like Katatonia, similar vocals, slightly slower tempos)

Lake of Tears- Forever Autumn (Similar atmosphere, slightly rougher non-death vocals, more folky and acoustic)

Paragon of Beauty- Comfort Me, Infinity (Great album, unique who sometimes sounds a bit like Jonas, at others has a tone similar to Thom Yorke, nice heavy/somber mix similar to Katatonia)

All 3 bands/albums are incredible, highly recommended stuff.

Try to get some Britney Spears, Puff Daddy or Westlife... now THAT'S melancholic.

If not then try Anathema's Silent Enigma you cant go wrong with this. BTW if you are thinking of getting some Radiohead i have OK Computer, because of the "Katatonia are a metal version of Radiohead", and its so bland and boring... on the other hand it has some excelent songs. Well... MAUDLIN OF THE WELL's Bath and you got it.

(i remember posting this on the anathema board too) all right here is my doom/depressive prescription for all my fellow katatonia followers, check out ALL:

paramaecium
crowbar
lacrimosa profundere
neurosis
fields of nephilm
neflim
saturnus
mourning belevoth
celestial season
after forever
forest of shadows
bethlehem