Bands Like Katatonia

I checked mar de gries and i like it but mmm don't think similar to Katatonia....But like a said it's good and i like it thanks :). I try all suggestions and now i'm going to check Khoma but it is not a progressive or indie rock this band? Don't forget to try Sara it's very good also but don't try the latest album....it's more commercial...

I haven't gotten to listen to ALL of the bands yet that were suggested. But so far the only band I have liked the sound of is Monokromia. I've also known about Novembre for a while but his voice is nowhere near as good as Jonas. However I would place them at second place behind Monokromia. I already know of Opeth (too much growling), Anathema (too slow), Paradise Lost (not a big fan of the vocalist) and My Dying Bride (again, I don't like the vocalist). I really don't like any of those bands and mostly it's because I don't like the vocals. In my opinion vocals can make or break a band. So far the closest band I can come to to Katatonia is like Tool/A Perfect Circle. It's all about the vocals for me. So if anyone knows of other bands who sound similar to recent Jonas material (with little to no growling and lots of malisma vocal techniques) please tell me about them and I will definitely check them out. It doesn't even have to be rock. I even love Gregorian monk chants to just because I love the melodies in their voices and thats also what I like about the more recent Jonas stuff.
Jack

try opeth's damnation - no growls there.

nor metal for that matter. but still a great dive.

Growls are an aquired taste.. didn't like them either years ago. Took Opeth to change that.

I haven't gotten to listen to ALL of the bands yet that were suggested. But so far the only band I have liked the sound of is Monokromia. I've also known about Novembre for a while but his voice is nowhere near as good as Jonas. However I would place them at second place behind Monokromia. I already know of Opeth (too much growling), Anathema (too slow), Paradise Lost (not a big fan of the vocalist) and My Dying Bride (again, I don't like the vocalist). I really don't like any of those bands and mostly it's because I don't like the vocals. In my opinion vocals can make or break a band. So far the closest band I can come to to Katatonia is like Tool/A Perfect Circle. It's all about the vocals for me. So if anyone knows of other bands who sound similar to recent Jonas material (with little to no growling and lots of malisma vocal techniques) please tell me about them and I will definitely check them out. It doesn't even have to be rock. I even love Gregorian monk chants to just because I love the melodies in their voices and thats also what I like about the more recent Jonas stuff.
Jack

Check out Karnivool. They're not really very Katatonia-ish, but more along the lines of Tool meets Chevelle.

http://www.myspace.com/karnivool

Lake of Tears -In particular "Headstones" - "Forever Autumn" era, "Crimson Cosmos probably the best of the lot - all Get the two volume "Greatest Tears" compilation.

Novemebre is good. Musically better than Opeth. Agree the vocals (clean) are a little let down, it's hard to know what he is singing - although I usually don't mind the way he sounds.

goes into the Anathema /Katatonia direction, but maybe more a kind of shoegaze...

Last edited by a moderator:
I didnt find any other "pimp-thread" so I'l post it here (even though they dont sound like Katatonia).

The singer is an old friend of mine, maybe not the best vocals but I like the music...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2Rn9nb8Wqs&[/ame]

Red House Painters, Anyone?
I mean it's not the closest you can get to Katatonia alike but then again Katatonia are truly one of a kind band..Katatonia alike are few and far between if any.