How did you discover Katatonia?

I heard "Deadhouse" at a party somewhere like 5 years ago. Being really depressed at the time it stuck to me. Soon after I was totally sold on Katatonia and has been ever since.

They're still one of my favourite bands.

I got a tape of Discouraged Ones back in 1998 a couple months after the album came out. I hadn't heard of the band, but seeing that it was on Century Media I said I'll try an album of theirs. The guy at the music store asked if I wanted to hear the new album or Brave Murder Day and I went for DO.

I decided to check out the band and downloaded Viva Emptiness, this must've been somewhere around 2001 or 2002. Anyway I disliked it, and threw it away. A few months later I checked them out once again and slowly fell in love with all their releases.

My best friend who always had excellent taste in music brought me to Katatonia with Discouraged Ones and Brave Murder Day many years ago.....he never liked them much himself, so he gave me these two records and that is how everything started......so Kata became my favourite band....

My ex brought BMD to me back in 1997 and I was just paralized by this music. I was Hypocrisy and Entombed fan and never thought I could hear something that would totally beat them, but it did! Then I got DO and terribly disliked it... I told about that before. But when I really got into DO, I became a crazy fan. Bought everything they did before and after that (most of you have no clue how it was hard here in Sweden, hehe). There's no band that means more for me than Katatonia for more than 9 years now.

Just recently, on another forum, somebody posted the sample of My Twin that came out early on the website. Since then, I'm hooked. Awesomeness!

It was back in 2000 when 12-years young Swany got her first very own PC and with it the chance to finally download anything she liked aaand with this the chance to find her own style of music and get away from her father's baaad influence [AC/DC, Rolling Stones, The Who...].
Someone from God-knows-what-board recommended a few goth-rock bands to her and gave her a link where to download various stuff. Later she checked out what she actually downloaded and disliked nearly everything, there were just 2 songs which really hooked her... 2 songs she didn't even know she downloaded and from which band they were... "I Break" and "For My Demons". Stupid as 'lil Swan was, she did not find out who did them.
Later in the year (still being addicted to those songs) she stepped over a "Teargas"-mp3, thinking that it just had to be the same band... then fell over mp3.com and got a name for that genious mysterious phantom-band... Katatonia.

I remember there were some friends from the net who also talked about Katatonia... but the main reason was that I accidently downloaded those songs *lol*

BloodySwan said:
It was back in 2000 when 12-years young Swany got her first very own PC and with it the chance to finally download anything she liked aaand with this the chance to find her own style of music and get away from her father's baaad influence [AC/DC, Rolling Stones, The Who...].
Someone from God-knows-what-board recommended a few goth-rock bands to her and gave her a link where to download various stuff. Later she checked out what she actually downloaded and disliked nearly everything, there were just 2 songs which really hooked her... 2 songs she didn't even know she downloaded and from which band they were... "I Break" and "For My Demons". Stupid as 'lil Swan was, she did not find out who did them.
Later in the year (still being addicted to those songs) she stepped over a "Teargas"-mp3, thinking that it just had to be the same band... then fell over mp3.com and got a name for that genious mysterious phantom-band... Katatonia.

I remember there were some friends from the net who also talked about Katatonia... but the main reason was that I accidently downloaded those songs *lol*

hahaha:lol:
nicely written;)

BloodySwan said:

:lol: 'lil Swan lol
For me it was in 1992 or 1993 I think when I heard an old album. Don't know which, but I know I only liked the more melodic clean stuff on that album. I wasn't that attracted... but then when Discouraged Ones came out I fell in love with Katatonia.

Ouh... it surprises me to get "feedback" for my silly story *lol* ... thanx guys, you're welcome x)

@ Cerulean: There seems to be something with "For My Demons" ... I know some other people (beside me & you) who fell in love with Katatonia after listening to that song ^^

Not a fancy story here, I led my fiend a copy of Anathema's Judgement and he gave me Tonight's Decision :D

btw, BloodySwan, whats wron with The Who? I like them :lol:

A friend from school played me Opeth, and I immediately went out and bought Blackwater Park. Through reading up on that band, I naturally eventually discovered Katatonia's website, back when it had the loop of the opening riff/melotron part of "Disposession" on the start page. I literally heard that one fucking riff and decided that I would more than likely love this band. At the Boxing Day sale at a local record store a couple of weeks later, I was disappointed to find that Last Fair Deal Gone Down was sold out, so I picked up Tonight's Decision on a whim instead, and was hooked from that point forth. I have since bought every single available Katatonia release (new, not used with the exception of Brave Murder Day), some multiple times due to playing them to coasters or losing them/having them stolen. I'm actually on my third Tonight's Decision, and will need to replace my Viva Emptiness pretty soon, it's not looking so pretty anymore.

I was a big fan of Opeth way back around the Morningrise album era, and I heard that Mikael had done guest vocals for Katatonia on their Brave Murder Day album. So I checked that album out, loved it, and the rest is history. I didn't think they'd ever be able to top that album, but they finally did with The Great Cold Distance.

My cousin made me listen to TD and I really got into it after a few listenings.But I forgot it a while(when I was really into sentenced)...Then something happened and it really hit me in the stomach when I listened to it months after...That was 7 years ago and I still adore them...I had never thought of them to be my best band for 7 years...(and TD the album of my life)

Androz said:
btw, BloodySwan, whats wron with The Who? I like them :lol:
Oh nothing, nothing (; ... I like them too [well, not much, but at least a bit *hehe*] ... I wrote that "bad" extra "baaaaaad" to give a hint it's not meant serious *g* ... you know I think my dad's really cool... not only because of his rather "hard" style of music [for his age it's quite "hard" v.v] ... *hrhr*

No more "fancy stories"? *ggg* No one who had an UFO landing in his garden with katatonia-maniac-aliens stepping out and brainwashing him/her 'til he/she was addicted too? o_O :p :lol:
[ah sorry, it's my "Lol, I'm so funny"-day +.+]

anaturaldisaster said:
I have since bought every single available Katatonia release (new, not used with the exception of Brave Murder Day), some multiple times due to playing them to coasters or losing them/having them stolen. I'm actually on my third Tonight's Decision, and will need to replace my Viva Emptiness pretty soon, it's not looking so pretty anymore.
I can't believe how carelessly many people treat their CD's, even my most played/used CD's could still be sold as 'used, but very good condition' on ebay..

I definitely NEVER had to buy a CD again because it was unusable because of high rotation or whatever. I need to replace my Type O Negative "Bloody Kisses" CD cause it has some scratches that affect playing during some songs, those scratches were caused by someone to who I had lended the CD a loooooooong time ago.